480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Started looking into a Nikon 75-150/3.5 Series E as a low-cost alternative lens for shooting head-n-shoulders portraits. But found that the zoom/focus ring of it tends to creep given the age of the lens these days.

I did find, however, that the Kiron 70-150/4 was the same lens (optically), only a bit different on the outside. So I started to search for that, or the Vivitar version. All 3 were apparently made by Kino Precision Industries in Japan.

Last weekend, I scored a Kiron........ $30 shipped........ with a matching Vivitar 2x TC. Package arrived today.

D61_9437a.jpg

So far, it's about what I expected. Both lens & TC are in pristine condition, even after the USPS dropped the box and dented the filter thread of the lens (easily corrected). And you'll notice....... the zoom/focus ring is still at the top; NO CREEP!

Nice! I've been really wanting to try out the Series E 100mm 2.8. But because they are popular now, they have gone up in price. So I might just get the old trusty 105 2.5 AIS to learn manual focusing better. I think the 105 2.5 AIS uses the same optics as modern lense today, same type of coating too I was told.

The other day on eBay I found a pristine Series E 70-210 f/4 for $60 - I was tempted to pick it up, but I really wanted a vintage prime more. You can get a vintage Sigma 28 2.8 AI from the 70s in good shape for around $30. Might just pick on up...but there is a vintage Vivitar that I was looking at, just can't remember what it was now, ugh.

I got to hand it to you sparky, you do seem to know photography. Maybe i should be more attentive to staying on your good side so you can give me lens advice and save me $$$$$$

:biggrinangelA:

Old manual focus lenses can be a lot of fun. They are often solidly built and compact. Manual focus is easy because they were designed that way. The old lenses I sometimes play with on my D700 are a 28/2.0, a 28/2.8, a 50/1.4, a 85/1.4, a 135/2.5, a 300/4.5 and a 70-210/4-5.6 push/pull zoom. That zoom is pretty neat, it's about the same size and weight as a modern AFS 50/1.4. All were purchased new a long time ago.

For the price these go for now, one can easily afford to get a couple just for fun.

There are some stellar performing old lenses out there. The only drawback are the lack of AF and metering on some cameras, as well as having to manually stop down. Still, if you aren't doing action photography or dealing with moving subjects, old manual focus lenses can be a superb investment and also offer some real character into an image. Modern lenses tend to have a very sterile/creamy bokeh, which offers nice results but, sometimes having certain quirks from old glass really adds to an image.

I've owned and used a lot of MF glass in the past 5 years. I still have the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-s which is stunningly sharp. Great for environmental portraiture, landscapes/architecture and even macro work, when reverse mounted. I also have the Zenit Helios 85mm f/1.5 40-2N and the 58mm f/2 44-2. I really liked the Nikkor 80-200 f/4 Ai-s. Amazingly sharp lens and very easy to use. I kind of regret selling that one.

Nice! I've been really wanting to try out the Series E 100mm 2.8. But because they are popular now, they have gone up in price. So I might just get the old trusty 105 2.5 AIS to learn manual focusing better. I think the 105 2.5 AIS uses the same optics as modern lense today, same type of coating too I was told.

The other day on eBay I found a pristine Series E 70-210 f/4 for $60 - I was tempted to pick it up, but I really wanted a vintage prime more. You can get a vintage Sigma 28 2.8 AI from the 70s in good shape for around $30. Might just pick on up...but there is a vintage Vivitar that I was looking at, just can't remember what it was now, ugh.
yeah i get really confused over old lenses. Dont know what is what, or what i know for sure is any good or will fit on my 7100. Afraid i am more the consumer route, punch in my camera model and give me the list of lenses and purposes. Problem is on sites that are able to do that they want to charge me more than i want to pay for a lens. I am somewhat a cheap skate. i see certain ones i wonder about, but then i wonder if they might be junk or not work on the camera.

yeah i get really confused over old lenses. Dont know what is what, or what i know for sure is any good or will fit on my 7100. Afraid i am more the consumer route, punch in my camera model and give me the list of lenses and purposes. Problem is on sites that are able to do that they want to charge me more than i want to pay for a lens. I am somewhat a cheap skate. i see certain ones i wonder about, but then i wonder if they might be junk or not work on the camera.

I think most AI/AIS lenses will mount perfectly fine on your D7100 and my D610 and that's because they have the meter coupling lever for these older lenses. Entry level bodies like the D3300 or D5500 don't have the meter coupling lever, so there is a chance you can break it off the lens, I think. Pre-AI and other old Nikkor lenses are really not recommended unless you get them converted. Some AI/AIS lenses you can get chipped too which would be ideal if you used it a ton.

I have a number of Nikon lens that were purchased 25 or so years ago and they work fine on my D7100. Two of them are AF lens and the others are manual focus.

I have a number of Nikon lens that were purchased 25 or so years ago and they work fine on my D7100. Two of them are AF lens and the others are manual focus.

I see you have a classic, the 80-200 2.8 AIS. I really need to pick up a AIS lens to have some fun. 28mm 2.8 series E may not be a bad place to start.

Good choice Sparky. Kiron's were pretty high on the food chain a few years back. Many years ago I had one of their macro's that was very sharp.

Most reactions

Back