Latest pelican antics

luckydog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cracked-lenz.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Gear down...check. Flaps to 70%...check.

115668607-L.jpg

This guy obviously found me to be a tad funny

115668596-L.jpg

Sporting this years breeding colours...hopefully not for me!

115668593-L.jpg

The first - along with the caption (!) - makes me smile. That one is really funny and well taken, too! Good moment. My son says the flaps look like 100 % down ;)...

The portraits are really good, too.
The colourful beak is a thing that only occurs during the mating season?

luckydog said:
Gear down...check. Flaps to 70%...check.

115668607-L.jpg
If I caught that shot, i would cry. That's one hell of a grab!

buahahahahahaha I fell from my chair when I saw the first one and read your short "decription" of the photo :D

Fantastic captures.

The last one really shows those colors nicely.

I am not a huge bird lover but the first one is just way too funny not to comment on. I actually think its a wonderful photo. Great job!!!!!

lol nice shots, love the first one, funny caption.

loving your work there: particularly no.3
what a lovely subject

but i can't shake the feeling that the pelican is taking off... not landing (no.1)
just embracing my cynical side...

Nice, love the detail. For some reason the first shot makes me wonder if the Pelican was unsure how the landing was going to go :)

Thanks everyone.

In response to surge's cynical side, the peli is most definately landing. He came in short and then had to flare to get a bit closer. These shots were taken at one of the local boat ramps. The birds know that when the fishermen come back that they have fish to clean and therefore wait in numbers for the scraps. The trick is to not only focus on the birds already there but keep an eye open for late arrivals...like this guy. I find a spot infront of the table and wait. The birds are more concerned about food than my presence.

These were all taken with a 28-105mm lens so if you can pick the spot you don't need big lenses 'cause they will come to you.

Same bird same approach...

115668608-L.jpg

much better than all my pelican shots so far!!! congratulations.

I really like these. I'm really jealous of people that take crystal clear pictures because they are hard for me to do as of late.

Most reactions

Back