Laundry day

cillie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.prophotography.co.za
I drove past this scene a while ago and just had to take a picture.

I fiddled for hours with this PS. I'm trying to bring out the colors of the clothes, but something is not right. Please help!! :???:

IMG_2684_mod.jpg

IMG_2687_mod2.jpg

Canon 20d, 75-300mm, f8 1/320s

Interesting photo. I think it needs some contrast and saturation on the reds.

--Don

This is a case where technical info may help, as the answer I suspect is partially technical. The colors are flat, I shoot with my camera settings on flat and I still get way better color. How did you meter the scene? What kind of camera did you use? What were your settings? Looks like you shot on a hazy day with a strong sun. Try shooting later in the evening and morning for better color. Filters will also help.

John E. said:
This is a case where technical info may help, as the answer I suspect is partially technical. The colors are flat, I shoot with my camera settings on flat and I still get way better color. How did you meter the scene? What kind of camera did you use? What were your settings? Looks like you shot on a hazy day with a strong sun. Try shooting later in the evening and morning for better color. Filters will also help.

I should have explained better. I did quite a bit of PS on both pictures.

In #1 I desaturated everything a little except for the clothes.

In #2 I completely desaturated the grass and trees and brought the saturation for the rest of picture also down.

The reason for this being that I wanted the focus on the bright colors of the clothes in an otherwise "dull' scene. I know this can be a good photo, but can't seem to get it just right in post processing - ie the reason for posting the shots here.

Camera - Canon 20D
Program Mode
White balance - Sunny
F8 1/320s
Rest of the settings - normal

Thanks

Cillié

I have found it quite effective to use selective colouring using the magic wand tool, by zooming in on the chosen area, select with magic wand, and use the colour variations to deepen the colour, providing you do not have the same colour pixels close by in which case i would probably use the lasso, this is the simplest of methods, but quite effective,and it has always worked for me in the past.

Most reactions

Back