Laundry House

BLS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is the laundry house at a farm on the Gettysburg Battlefield. Please give me your comments and suggestions.

L2-LaundryHouseResize.jpg

i like the composition, but feel there is a bit too much saturation.

There's several things that strike me funny about this one. The sunlit side of the building is blown out. It looks like it was really cropped from an original taken with a real wideangle lens- the building's perspective is "off". It's way too noisy. Too much saturation. And the grass needs mowing.

But it is pretty neat with that Countryside Calender look to it.

Thanks for your comments. :^)

Where to begin? Well, let's start with saturation. You're right, jonmikal & goofup, it's too saturated. This is a scan from a print (I use negative film). The scanner always changes the color. I tried to restore the color in PS, but I guess I went overboard. The scanner and/or PS also caused the blownout side of the building. In the print the side is not blown out, but it is right on the verge.

Yes, the image was taken w/ a wide angle lens, 28mm. But no, it wasn't cropped -- this is right out of the camera with the lens manually set at hyperfocal.

Below are two new trials. One is a desaturated color version (at least I hope it is -- I'm not good at PS at all!). The other is a B&W version that I tried at Cruzin's suggestion w/ PS's greyscale and autocontrast (that's about the extent of my PS ability).

Are the new versions better, or should I just trash the pic?

L2-LaundryHouseResize2.jpg

L2-LaundryHouseResizeBW.jpg

Thanks for your comments. :^)

Where to begin? Well, let's start with saturation. You're right, jonmikal & goofup, it's too saturated. This is a scan from a print (I use negative film). The scanner always changes the color. I tried to restore the color in PS, but I guess I went overboard. The scanner and/or PS also caused the blownout side of the building. In the print the side is not blown out, but it is right on the verge.

Yes, the image was taken w/ a wide angle lens, 28mm. But no, it wasn't cropped -- this is right out of the camera with the lens manually set at hyperfocal.

Below are two new trials. One is a desaturated color version (at least I hope it is -- I'm not good at PS at all!). The other is a B&W version that I tried at Cruzin's suggestion w/ PS's greyscale and autocontrast (that's about the extent of my PS ability).

Are the new versions better, or should I just trash the pic?

L2-LaundryHouseResize2.jpg

L2-LaundryHouseResizeBW.jpg

B&W version looks so much better in my own humble opininon, mostly due to the subject rather than the distortion in the original colours. The mood of it just seems to call for monochrome. I personally love the subject, the angle, cut etc are really appealing to me.

And whoever said the grass needed cutting... LOL Now that really is picky!!

The Black and White makes a world of difference, and not because I made the suggestion :wink:
The b&w make the trees hide in background which was a little distracting in the color version.
It also made the house, barrel fence, and pump stand out more, which to me was the real subject. Plus you an interesting angle and some good contrast happening. I agree with Jonmikal, do not trash it. I really like the picture!

(I was just kidding about the grass!!!)

Both the color and BW versions have their own appeal. I'd keep both of them.

Most reactions

Back