• I use the LCD screen.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bifurcator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just reading the "How Long Does It Take" thread and was wondering what most of you use to frame and focus.

I always use the viewfinder.

The only camera I have that can even do live view has a broken LCD, but I always used the viewfinder on that too before it broke.

Viewfinder for me - my 400D does not even have liveview as an option, but I much prefer the viewfinder. Lets you get a little extra stability when holding the lens and also does not suddenly become unreadable in bright light ;). Only downside is when doing macro and you can't get into a good position behind the camera to get your eye to the viewfinder - anglefinder needed - does the list of kit ever end?

Digital camera: for snapshots the monitor is fine, but I often turn it off and use the optical viewfinder (where is that in your poll?) for more precise work. It also helps save battery power, and when one wants to be less noticed.

Film camera: the viewfinder (!)

Digital camera: for snapshots the monitor is fine, but I often turn it off and use the optical viewfinder (where is that in your poll?) for more precise work. It also helps save battery power, and when one wants to be less noticed.

Film camera: the viewfinder (!)
Optical here too, but I checked the first option - I felt that it was Bifurcator's intent that optical viewfinders were included in that group.

ViewFinder Optical or Electronic (EVF/VF) is option #1 in the poll.

Maybe I should have used the proper term and called it a loupe. But that sounded confusing to me as there are actual loupes for checking focus in LF/MF and I've even seen them used on the tiny LCDs of DSLRs.

Sorry for the confusion.

My current camera has an eye sensor that automatically switches from LCD to EVF when you place anything in close proximity to the eye-cup. Thus for me convenience is not an factor in my practice of always using the EVF. When set to EVF only it also automatically turns off the EVF when you take your face away from the back. For me the LCD is only useful for showing someone else (or a small group) the image in the camera real quick. I don't even use it for menus and settings.

Live View through the EVF Loupe is a must for me. Or at least it's a very critical factor in my purchase decisions. With the one I have now automatically switches to an amplified monochrome mode in low light that is as good as some powerful night vision equipment I've used in the past. I can see things the focus mechanism can't even detect or that would be impossible to focus on with an optical only VF. This makes manual focusing in near zero light a cinch. With optical VF or range finders I need a flashlight and used to carry one as standard for these reasons.

- View Finder (EVF/VF). (SLR)
- Range Finder Camera.
- I don't use any. I just aim in the general direction and pray. (shoot at the hip)

I do the above three depending....

The pop up thing on my Zeiss Nettar won't work while I'm wearing my glasses, so... :)

Even if I owned a P&S there is no way I'm getting LVNeck from using the lcd. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"LVNeck from using the lcd..."???

Oh, you GOTTA explain that one! :D

LiveViewNeck

You know, it's where you lean back and stretch your neck WAY back and then tuck in your chin to see the live view on your P&S while holding it like it's got bad breath or something.

Beats me why people buy the things if they don't like them. Why not get something you can get cheek to cheek with. :)

i love shooting at the hip sometimes. its some what exciting to aim at something and let fate frame your shots. have definately got some interesting results that way. generally i use my viewfinder though. XTi doesnt have live view, not that id really even use it. not really an option that attracts me.

Can you do this with your camera:

prismnofinder.jpg

My current one has both a flip-up LCD and a 90 degree tilt loupe that makes for some fun viewfinding postures. :D

Ground Glass is not an option?

I went with Rangefinder, although shoot wide enough at f/8 in the city and you don't really need the viewfinder after a little practice.

It sounds like I really should have made the poll multi-vote with more options and used clearer vernacular. Oh well, I sucked, I learned. :D I'll do better next time. ;) I wish poll text and options were editable - I'd go in and fix her up.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back