LCD Pop-Up Shade

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just recently purchased a Canon 5D and was wondering if anyone has every uses one of these, particullary this brand. Here
I don't plan on using the LCD to take the picture, merely just to view them afterwards so I think this would come in handy, but I'm not sure. If anyone has used them a thumbs up or thumbs down would be appreciated.

I have one, and in most cases I keep it off just due to the fact that I like to be constantly checking my histogram for exposure, and it can become rather cumbersome to be flipping it up and down. But after saying that, I find it indispensable in bright sunlight, when I can barely even see the histogram on the LCD, as well as keeping little finger prints off when letting them see their pictures as well as to avoid scratches. I am sure others will give you a much more helpful ‘review’, but I would probably recommend one.

I've seen and used (but down own) the shades for the smaller LCDs like for the 20d and the rebelxt, and they were great. a little flimsy, but still really helpful. I'd say go for it, the shades really help in bright light.

side question...let me know how you like the 5d, i'm thinking about getting it soon. you've been getting some nice equipment lately, especially for your age (If i remember right you're like 17-19? i thought so...). are you funding your purchases with photography, or another job(s)? either way, that's awesome dude.

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it.

side question...let me know how you like the 5d, i'm thinking about getting it soon. you've been getting some nice equipment lately, especially for your age (If i remember right you're like 17-19? i thought so...). are you funding your purchases with photography, or another job(s)? either way, that's awesome dude.
Will do. And I'm 17. With the 5D it cost me $2400 on ebay and I got my parents to pay for half because of grades and all that good stuff. With my other equipment it was either a gift, generally all I ask for is camera equipment, or I bought it using money from things I've sold on ebay. I do some stuff for my local paper but don't get paid yet, now that I have a digital camera I'm going to try and get a job this summer.

very cool man, that's a nice price for the 5d. is it used? I found it for 2499 after alot of rebates from Dell new, but ebay seems to have alot of good deals lately.

Update
Just got the pop-up shade and I really like it. It protects your LCD, prevents those horrible nose spots, and gets rid of the dreaded "Can I see" after you take a picture of someone. That’s one of those pet peeves that killed me when I had my little p&s digital. The only bad thing about it is it makes the On/Off switch on the 5d a little funky, but you only use that so many times when you’re out taking pictures.

I would recommend one if you have a digital SLR.

Most reactions

Back