LDR

mmmm... sandwiches...

Mmmm...ever notice how speedlites are about the size of a sandwich? Speaking of which, I bought good sandwich meat at the local butcher recently...mmm...sandwich...

I've heard good things about LIMP even though it's in alpha. It's slow but at least it's mostly stable...unless you sneeze. I think Adobe is planning to release a plug-in for Photoshop that will provide some support for LDR processing soon too. They might be charging for it though. VERY advanced stuff.

Ok

i have tried our friend google to get some infomration about LDR including using the name of the software mentioned, but nothing of value seems to come up.

A lot of stuff about Photomatrix does appear that mentions ldr.

any clue about a link.

LDR - large dynamic range

this is when you use a selection of shots to not only cover the normal full dynamic range of a scene (this can be anything from 2 shots up to many if there is a lot of varitation in the lighting). But also where you stick an infra red filter on the camera to record the full infra red dynamic range as well (taken as a separate series of shots). You then blend them like you would for a tonemapped/HDR shot - along with the IR shots.
Strictly speaking you should also add in the Ultra Violet light as well - but this is a far harder thing to get with Digital cameras these days. Due to the nature of needing IR (and UV) this is not a well used art in digital work since it needs 3 cameras to work properly - 1 normal, 1 modded for IR and 1 modded for UV

ps if anyone actually goes out and tries this remember - OIIIIO owns the name and I own the idea!! I want my Royalties darn it!!!

well john paul caponigro mentioned it in passing but also said it was probably passed it usefulness. no kidding.

LDR imaging is a very advance technique and i would recommend you noobs trying it without at least 50 years experience. That being said
I've been using this method since the late 90's, and thought I'd share how to do it properly.

This is the final product:
Shot is of my lens cap @ f68/iso 2/shutter speed 83293, and, of course, bracketed to take 13 exposures 0 stops apart.

LDR.jpg

certainly sucked me in:lmao:

LDR imaging is a very advance technique and i would recommend you noobs trying it without at least 50 years experience. That being said
I've been using this method since the late 90's, and thought I'd share how to do it properly.

Shot is of my lens cap @ f68/iso 2/shutter speed 83293, and, of course, bracketed to take 13 exposures 0 stops apart.

LDR.jpg

The right corner needs a lil Dodging IMHO.

Great Comp though.

LDR.jpg

I aspire to someday take such phenomenal shots.

BTW, that image makes me realize how dirty my monitors at work are...looks almost like an image of a night sky and stars :lol:

Wow, that's one dirty monitor.

Stunning image Mturulski. You did well making sure there was absolutely no detail visible. It looks like a pure black canvas made in Photoshop. Perfect!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back