Leaked Sony RX1 Fits a DSLR in Your Pocket (rumor)

Zeiss still does make lenses, as far as I know their cinema lenses are still being made in Germany by Zeiss. There is no reason why you couldn't drop $4-15,000 and buy one and use it on a still camera. Would they be better? At those prices I sure as hell hope so, no matter who built it.

I do not know the exact arrangement of the Cosina lenses, and as far as I've understood it, these are lenses being manufactured by Cosina on behalf of Zeiss, rather than Cosina simply rebranding one of their lenses as Zeiss. It's not like Kyocera buying the rights to use the name Contax and do pretty much whatever it feels like.

I do not know the arrangement with Sony, and I had assumed that Zeiss had Sony manufacture the ZA line under contract, including specific specification and formula. Maybe those specifications are pretty loose, I don't know. But I am pretty sure that Zeiss isn't going to let Sony slap on a red T* without some specification as to what T* is or what Distagon or Planar means.

Having Zeiss license their technologies and specifications is not the same thing as Minolta or Nikon slapping their logo on a cheap Tamron or Cosina OEM. Zeiss has specifications which are to be met, and I maintain that it does not matter where geographically the factory is located, provided that the factory is technologically capable of producing the product to specification. I also do not believe that if third parties are producing an inferior licensed product Zeiss is in the dark about it.

I also did not mean to accuse any specific person of being a racist, and while I understand why Derrel felt this way, I also don't appreciate MJHoward here outright accusing me of being racist for no other reason than being racially sensitive myself.

As for lens makers - it doesn't really matter. Lenses are "made" in the laboratory, they are manufactured in factories. So long as the factory is capable, it doesn't matter where that factory is. That's all that my point ever was. I'm sorry I misinterpreted the conversation as something it wasn't.

Last edited:
cgipson1 said:
Bro.. you have to be KIDDING! Cosina is well known for making inferior products.... and nowhere did Derrel make a any racist references.... YOU DID! Beaners and Chinks.. what's up with that! Rude! It has also been shown that the SONY Zeiss lenses do NOT match up to the actual German made lenses! I think Derrel's point was that if they can't even build a decent lens cap... how good can the lenses be?

There is nothing inferior about Voigtlander lenses

molested_cow said:
Helen, given that the A99 is priced the same(actually a bit cheaper) than the RX1, and that it's considerably smaller and lighter than its competitions and has a much wider range of focal length options, are the "pros" still going to see value in the RX1?

I am curious what exactly is the "pro" usage that you are referring to. Photo journalism?

I'll pull that post up to the top since its the last topic related !

Once you add lenses to the a99 the price goes much higher so I doubt they will really compete each other.

I like the idea of the high quality fixed lens. I don't have the money for it though ! Lol

I think that, by and large, most pros know exactly what sort of camera they want, so the choice between an A99 and an RX1 is either easy, or it isn't even a choice - after all, we aren't restricted to using just one camera for everything. We can use whatever is most appropriate for the situation, whatever we feel is right for us - but only if that choice is available. I see that as one of the ways in which digital is maturing - the choice of types of camera is growing.

Here we are talking about a camera that probably has exceptional low light capabilities, while being unobtrusive and near silent. I mostly use a Leica for that purpose, and there are plenty of times when I don't feel the need to carry anything other than the 35 mm lens.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, the RX1 is selling, and is ranked #13 in Cameras and Photos on Amazon, significantly outselling the a99 (#44) and slightly out selling the d800 (#15). The d600 seems DOA. Maybe these are a bunch of hipsters, franky, I doubt that Sony - and more important the competition, care.

Furthermore the NEX 6 is the #1 ranked camera.

Can they keep up the pace? I sort of doubt it. But the RX1 is selling ATM.

As far as Sony not being a leader in any market, if they aren't leading in Mirrorless, they must be close. If you think this market 'doesn't really matter', that's like saying Apple doesn't lead in any market because mobile 'doesn't really matter'.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back