ecnal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lancewilkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry for the bad grammar.

Anyhoo. I was curious about HDR photos, I've been reading up on them a little. I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow, I'll post results. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

I've heard that using CS2/3 is better, and I've heard that a program called 'Photomatix' is better - can anyone shine any light on that?

How do you shoot an HDR photo (if you do at all?) Any tips/preferred methods?

Photomatix is better by far than Photoshop.

How I shoot an HDR varies according to the scene I'm trying to capture. I'll make any where from 3 to 9 exposures. It depends on the dynamic range of the scene.

A good steady tripod is useful, camera in Av mode (Aperture priority), auto bracket (optional), mirror locked up (optional), remote release the shutter (optional).

Make an image before the HDR with a finger or something in the frame so you know what's next is the first bracket of your HDR and another image at the end with a finger or something in the frame to indicated the end of the bracket string.

Go for it.

Last edited:
Thanks! KmH, a question: You say aperture priority - a few sites I've found say shutter. Wouldn't aperture mess with the DOF in some instances and cause some more blurry parts? I know it varies depending on the subject your shooting.

Thanks! KmH, a question: You say aperture priority - a few sites I've found say shutter. Wouldn't aperture mess with the DOF in some instances and cause some more blurry parts? I know it varies depending on the subject your shooting.
Aperture priority means you set the aperture so it stays the same for all the bracketed exposures (maintining depth of field) and the camera varies the shutter speed.

Using the auto bracket capabilities of your camera (if it has such) is so the exposures can be made quickly to minimize any motion blur in the scene, like moving clouds or tree limbs rustled by the wind.

Hmmm...I find it counter intuitive that anyone would sugget using shutter priority.

Most reactions

Back