Learning to get the most out of my camera

Moduso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I got a Sony A5000. It's their base model and so far I really like it but I'm totally new to taking photographs in manual modes. I'm not sure what the limitations are on my camera or kit lens.

Don't be surprised if my most common question is "how do I take a picture like that?"

There's really no one thing that I like to take pictures of. My dogs, landscapes, cars/motorcycles, cosplayers, etc.

I went with micro 4/3 because I figured I'd be more likely to take it places.

Thanks,
Moduso

There are learning curves on all new equipment, but for most cameras, the limitations are seeded more in the photographers imagination and skill than in the equipment.

Isn't the A5000 an APS-C sensor? I don't think Sony makes any MFT cameras.

It is APS-C. I had no idea that meant it wasn't also MFT. I wonder if that means I can't use MFT lenses with it. I'll look it up, thanks :)

Assuming you can use MFT lenses and they will even mount to your Sony, you really would not want to on an APS-C camera. Just like using and APS-C lens on a Full frame camera you will likely get vignetting or darkening around the edges of the frame due to the lens not being able to project the image across the entire sensor.

You will be much better off to get APS-C lenses instead. Is there are particular reason you are going after MFT lenses?

On a side note, and again assuming they would even mount to your camera you could use a full frame lens on your APS-C camera but you will not be taking full advantage of the FF lens intended focal length.

Assuming you can use MFT lenses and they will even mount to your Sony, you really would not want to on an APS-C camera. Just like using and APS-C lens on a Full frame camera you will likely get vignetting or darkening around the edges of the frame due to the lens not being able to project the image across the entire sensor.

You will be much better off to get APS-C lenses instead. Is there are particular reason you are going after MFT lenses?

On a side note, and again assuming they would even mount to your camera you could use a full frame lens on your APS-C camera but you will not be taking full advantage of the FF lens intended focal length.

I honestly just didn't know that my camera wasn't MFT, honestly. I thought maybe APS-C was the sensor size but MFT was a lense/body style. I'm learning, though!

Attachments

• IMG_20160814_115201.jpg
    IMG_20160814_115201.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 128
Yes, it can get confusing. MFT is a sensor size as well as specific mount. Actually, APS-C is also a specific mount "size" but there are specific ASP-C mounts in Nikon, Canon, et cetera. I guess that a camera maker can make a MFT size mount which is also a specific mount ... But as of now, and as much as I can ascertain, MFT mounts are standardized and universal,

I honestly just didn't know that my camera wasn't MFT, honestly. I thought maybe APS-C was the sensor size but MFT was a lense/body style. I'm learning, though!

No worries many of us here including myself are still learning. When I started I was very confused by it as well and actually thought the first camera I bought was full frame when is was really APS-C

Actually, Nikon has just 1 DSLR mount, the F-mount, for both it's APS-C (DX) and full frame (FX) cameras.

Canon has the EF mount for it's DSLR's but their lenses designed to project the smaller than full frame APS-C size image circle have what Canon calls their EF-S lens mount.

So on Canon DSLRs that have an APS-C size image sensor both EF and EF-S lenses can be mounted and used.
Canon EF-S lenses cannot be mounted on Canon full frame (EF) camera bodies).

Most reactions

Back