Learning to shoot the D90 in manual. C&C Please!

Atlas77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my D90 and I've been learning to shoot in manual. I usually shoot in RAW but I was playing with it and I decided to see differences between JPEG+Fine and RAW+fine, I forgot the mode was on JPEG and snapped a shot. C&C Would be appreciated.

IMO, I think the whites are blown out. :lol:

Just a test shot.

DELETED

Last edited:
Not the answer to you questions but a sugestion: always focus on the eye of your subject. If the eye is sharp the rest will take care of itself.
JSD

Not the answer to you questions but a sugestion: always focus on the eye of your subject. If the eye is sharp the rest will take care of itself.
JSD

Oops, thanks to your post I realized this was the one with the eye out of focus :lol: ill post up the new one but It looks much better when its small! I need to know how to resize it!

JSD

Oops, thanks to your post I realized this was the one with the eye out of focus :lol: ill post up the new one but It looks much better when its small! I need to know how to resize it!
Depending on what software you have you should be able to use the size-resize tool in you editor. Look on this site for the recomended size, somewhere here...Sorry thats not too specific but this is not my strong point.

JSD

Depending on what software you have you should be able to use the size-resize tool in you editor. Look on this site for the recomended size, somewhere here...Sorry thats not too specific but this is not my strong point.

Alright, I put the new one up and i am now trying to resize.

The whites are not blown out. The image could use a bit more contrast.

All right, I could take a shot at editing it. Do you know how to make the image smaller? It looks great when its small and ive tried both lightroom and gimp

All right, I could take a shot at editing it. Do you know how to make the image smaller? It looks great when its small and ive tried both lightroom and gimp

Again this is not my area but search around this site and look for the recomended size. Then in Lightroom when you hit export you will get a bunch of options. Scroll down and enter the desired size into the spaces provided and you should be good to go.

Again this is not my area but search around this site and look for the recomended size. Then in Lightroom when you hit export you will get a bunch of options. Scroll down and enter the desired size into the spaces provided and you should be good to go.

I tried this, It didnt work. :(

Most images appear sharper when reduced in size. They aren't really, but......

This image looked great when I shot it on my lcd, and when I downsized it it also looked great in gimp

Maybe photobucket is resizing my images?

Finally Got it resized, Now its too small but.. BUMP? :lol:

If you are just starting out with a DSLR don't make it hard on yourself, learn to shoot in JPEG. The only difference you will ever see is that in RAW you can save the blown out whites better.
Shooting in RAW and Manual should be considered more advanced techniques for advance shooters that know why they are doing it and know the benefits they will achieve by going that way.
For a beginner shoot in JPEG and try shooting in Aperture priority. Make it easy on yourself.

If you are just starting out with a DSLR don't make it hard on yourself, learn to shoot in JPEG. The only difference you will ever see is that in RAW you can save the blown out whites better.
Shooting in RAW and Manual should be considered more advanced techniques for advance shooters that know why they are doing it and know the benefits they will achieve by going that way.
For a beginner shoot in JPEG and try shooting in Aperture priority. Make it easy on yourself.

So far I love Aperture Priority, when im having trouble with manual I go straight to that. Thanks for the suggestion, JPEG is much easier to use on computer too. So far I have just been practicing with everything. Its kind of overwhelming to get used to setting up everything. :lol:

Most reactions

Back