Learning what equipment to take.......and when

Good Street photographers like Sashbar,The Traveler and many others here are good examples how they do street shooting with out confrontation.I am sure confidence and common sense are a big part of there success and knowing exactly what gear to bring. Shooting people randomly from the hip is not good practice on a regular basis and shows lack of confidence,bad framing even out of focus shots.JMHO.Then again, I am a birder so what do I know ha.

Last edited:
Yes, not sure it was camera shy, just a pissed off blue jay. But then they are the Archie Bunkers of the bird world.

Then again, I am a birder so what do I know ha.
Ever been attacked by a pissed off bird that is camera shy ? :beguiled:
I've never been attacked by a person. I've been asked not to shoot them, I smile and say "no problem, sorry I bothered you" and move along. It's really just not a big deal if you act naturally about it.

I think you will fine be goodguy but do be careful with that beauty D750,there is a lot of temptation for thugs.My friend was attacked by a Blue Jay that had nest close by, even seen a cat knocked out and off a tree branch and squirrels.

Last edited:
The topic (in the other thread) was about being discrete in street photography (or something along those lines), I mentioned something about just holding my camera in my hand at my side and just turning my wrist and shooting without bringing it up to my face. The joke was I could get pics of hot girls without their boyfriends noticing. A few people understood it was a joke but one did not and I was told that was not street photography and I was giving "real photographers" a bad name. :76:
I thought you looked familiar. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I take one of these with me.......
3913%20003.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Never had an issue. But then in my line of work, someone may find themselves a new home if they are stupid.
That won't work well in larger metropolitan areas, especially if they have gun laws. In the event the person doing the camera-taking has a gun as well, I would never risk my life for a camera. That's what insurance is for.

Or do 25 to life for a few thousands bucks.

I made a joke a while ago about snapping photos of pretty girls without being noticed and got scolded by Solarflare for it. :apologetic:
Hu ? I dont remember that.

Maybe because you indeed made it sound like you're a stalker, instead of trying to create art.

Never had an issue. But then in my line of work, someone may find themselves a new home if they are stupid.
That won't work well in larger metropolitan areas, especially if they have gun laws. In the event the person doing the camera-taking has a gun as well, I would never risk my life for a camera. That's what insurance is for.
Perhaps you should read this.
https://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf
The actual Act if you want to read it:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-108hr218enr/pdf/BILLS-108hr218enr.pdf

That is why Angel goes with me everywhere I go. :05.18-flustered:

Last edited:

You will still be restricted in certain areas, and there are of a lot of caveats to that, including yearly training (at least for NYC). And, if you pull it, or someone finds it, you will still be investigated. Just because you're retired doesn't give you an all access pass. Sorry.

Also, it doesn't protect you in the event that someone else pulls theirs first. If you want to put yourself and others at risk, be ready to accept the responsibility. Personally, I would rather give my camera away than have myself, my wife, or others shot dead because of a camera.

Then again, I place life above property. Others may want to die for their property. I'd rather fight back using other avenues.

Guys put your guns, riffles, tanks and warplanes back into their holsters, I just wanted to share my experience and see what lens you would recommend for me.

The recommendation for the 18-140mm was good but the truth is that the 55-200mm is about half the price used and for the use it will get I think at the moment I am leaning more toward this option.

I want to add the 2 incidents which happened at a 10 minute time frame happened when I was not actually using the camera, it was just on me and we were walking slowly enjoying the day.
I had no issues when I actually took pictures in the market, my technique isn't just in trying to take interesting pictures but also try not to offend anyone and trying to stay out of trouble, I am out there to enjoy my hobby and not offend anyone or get into trouble.

You will still be restricted in certain areas, and there are of a lot of caveats to that, including yearly training (at least for NYC). And, if you pull it, or someone finds it, you will still be investigated. Just because you're retired doesn't give you an all access pass. Sorry.

Also, it doesn't protect you in the event that someone else pulls theirs first. If you want to put yourself and others at risk, be ready to accept the responsibility. Personally, I would rather give my camera away than have myself, my wife, or others shot dead because of a camera.

Then again, I place life above property. Others may want to die for their property. I'd rather fight back using other avenues.
Who said I was retired.

Guys put your guns, riffles, tanks and warplanes back into their holsters, I just wanted to share my experience and see what lens you would recommend for me.

The recommendation for the 18-140mm was good but the truth is that the 55-200mm is about half the price used and for the use it will get I think at the moment I am leaning more toward this option.

I want to add the 2 incidents which happened at a 10 minute time frame happened when I was not actually using the camera, it was just on me and we were walking slowly enjoying the day.
I had no issues when I actually took pictures in the market, my technique isn't just in trying to take interesting pictures but also try not to offend anyone and trying to stay out of trouble, I am out there to enjoy my hobby and not offend anyone or get into trouble.
Sorry for derailing! :02.47-tranquillity:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back