Leaves and lighting. Old and new.​

#1. Canon EOS 5D, Canon EF 28-70/2.8L USM at 70 mm​

spring-01.jpg

#2. Canon EOS 5D, Canon EF 28-70/2.8L USM at 50 mm
spring-02.jpg

#3. Canon EOS 5D, Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6 IS USM at 300 mm
spring-03.jpg

These could have been taken by me.
This is what I see, what I LIKE to see, and what I usually want to photograph myself, too.
A tiny observation on the side that might help: your focused-on subject always is right in the centre of your frame. Try next time to focus on it and then shift the camera slightly to the left or right to get it off centre. You will find out yourself that your pics will look (even) more interesting. (Like is happening in your second here with the stand of old leaves a bit on the left).

Thats right. As a rule of thumb, follow the rule of thirds.

The rule of thirds is where you place your subject in a third of your frame, whether it be a leaf or whatever. If possible, try to have something in the other 2/3 of the frame that leads the viewers eye to the subject, that will add even more to the picture.

The center photo with the red leaves is a perfect example of the use of the rule of thirds (even if it's accidental), the red leaves are on the left third, while they curl around to the middle-almost-bottom thrid.

Since you're using a 5D, you shouldnt' have to pan the camera everytime you want to focus on something thats anywhere but the center, just rotate through the autofocus points or do what i like to do and manually focus most of the time.

Most reactions

Back