Leaving for Germany Tomorrow Please Help Quick!

s1mon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So My new tammie 17-50 came and as this will go on my 20d is my first experience with the dslr world. With the little metter from -2 to 2 on the little top lcd, should that bar always be in the middle for a correct exposure? In low light, my lens sometimes can take from 1-2 seconds to focus and sometimes just "hunts" and never focuses at all. Is this normal? IS there something wrong with the lens? Also, any tips on shooting landscapes and buildings? Artistic touches? Ways to hold the camera steady?
P.s.-Other than noise, shutter speed blurr, etc, is there a difference in what combo of iso, aperture, and shutter that you use as long as you get the correct exposure?
p.s.s-What aperture do you recommend for landcapes, streets, buildings, etc?

Thanks for the help and Ill post em when I get back!

Well it sounds like you will learn alot about your camera on this trip. Everything sounds right with your camera. Your really going to have to experiment and see what works for you. Do you have the manual?

I don't know Canon, but I'll assume the meter reads the same way as Nikon, so yes, the bar should be in the middle for correct exposure. It can be difficult for autofoucs to work in low light; what you describe sounds perfectly normal to me. If it won't focus, there's always manual. Best bet for holding the camera steady is either a tripod or a monopod. Tips & artistic touches? That's too much to get into, but I will say, always review your exposures, check for blown highlights, washed out skies, etc. Use exposure bracketing (read your manual for this). ISO controls your sensor's sensitivity to light, the higher the number, the greater the sensitivity, and also the more noise in the picture. Keep the ISO as low as you can. Apeture affects depth of field, or how much of the image is in focus. The higher the number (eg f22, f32) the more that will be in focus. Shutter speed affects movement; try to avoid shooting below 1/60 sec hand-held if you can, and use the "1 over" rule for your big glass, that is, the shutter speed should always be at least one over the current focal length for hand-held, so if you're shooting at 200mm, then ensure your shutter speed is at LEAST 1/200 of a second, and preferably higher.
Good luck

TY! Do your lenses ever hunt?

Leaving for Germany Tomorrow

Then you've got a helluva lot of catching up to do tonight, my friend!
The gear is good, it's the photographer that needs a brush-up. This Germany trip is your chance to work through the manual. Use it. Read it cover to cover. Try out stuff. Have it in your camera bag at all times.

And the Search button is your friend.

Have fun!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back