Lecia Camera

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by opsgm, Jul 9, 2010.

1. opsgm

opsgm TPF Noob!

Hello all, new to the site. Was hoping I could get some advise. Recently my Dad passed and I found a Lecia Camera Nr#846430 with a Summicron f=5cm 1:2 lens in a brown leather Lecia case. The camera appears in pristine condition. From a worth stand point I am getting mixed signals, I've seen this indentical camera for as much as $2,000, the local antique shop offered $175. Can someone give me an idea what I have here?

Thanks so much for your time, just started looking at my grandfathers camera gear, interesting stuff

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. compur

compur No longer a newbie, moving up!

That would be a Leica IIIg. Value depends mostly on condition.
    A value of $2,000 is possible for some super mint examples or rare
    variations but unlikely. If the camera needs service (likely if not used for
    a long period) than it would be basically considered a parts camera
    and not worth a whole lot. If it's in perfectly usable condition but somewhat
    worn, it would be worth more like a few hundred dollars and up depending
    on how much or how little wear.

3. opsgm

opsgm TPF Noob!

Thanks for the information, when I was doing research, I saw pricing all over the place.

Thanks for your time

4. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Prices will vary. Particularily on cameras like the IIIg which have a strong collector following. With such cameras, condition is a major factor in the value. Small bright marks on the satin chrome can shave hundreds of dollars off of the selling price.

You need to also consider that the price offered by the antique shop was wholesale while the price you saw on a camera for sale is retail. The antique shop is going to need to mark up the camera to sell it.

That said, I sold a IIIg with a collapsible 50mm (5cm) Summicron about16-18 years ago to a dealer (read: wholesale) for $1000 USD. Mine was operationally perfect and cosmetically near perfect. Had it not been in such near showroom condition it would have been a good bit less valuable. Of the regular production thread mount Leicas, the IIIg generally is the most valuable.

5. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just to add a little more info, your IIIg was made in 1956. Great camera, congrats!

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    If it really says "Lecia" on the top plate.. then I'd say its a fake...

:p

7. opsgm

opsgm TPF Noob!

Appreciate all the feedback. My major concern is that if I want to sell it, being a camera novice. I want ensure I get a reasonable price. The posts demonstrate it could be all over the board.

As far as the top plate, it says Lecia DPB Ernst Leitz GMBH Wetzlar Germany Nr. 846430, I beleive it to be authentic as other camera I have looked at while doing research look identical.

Thanks again

8. IanG

IanG TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As you seem to be confirming it says "Lecia" it'll be a fake. Russian Leica copies have been around for a long time, some then doctored to be passed off as Leica's.

Ian

9. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    None of the FSU (aka Russian) bodies can be used to create a fake IIIg without massive custom work. The Leica fakes are all attempts at earlier models that lake the IIIg's larger VF.

I simple check is to do a visual match to a picture of a real IIIg. Check out the instruction manual and its images. Here's a link to a manual at the Butkus site:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/leica/leica_iiig/leica_iiig.htm

Note the unique four VF windows on the front. Only the IIIg and IIg (IIIg minus the slow speed knob) have these four windows, two rectangular and two round. All other thread mount Leicas with RFs have only 3 (one rectangular and two round) as do all of the FSU Leica clones, which are what is used for creating Leica fakes. The later Leica M series have 3 rectangular windows, or two when they lack an RF.

10. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    Remember Dwig... the assumption that this particular camera being an authentic IIIg is solely on the OP's posted serial number. If the serial and the top plate are fake then nothing can be assumed unless someone examines the camera itself. It could very well be a fake with a serial that just happen to fall in the range of a IIIg batch.

If the OP confirms that "Lecia" is indeed printed on the top plate, then there are two possibilities:

1) Its a fake.. a bad one if they can't spell "Leica" properly on the top plate. Worth almost nothing.
    2) Its a real Leica with an engraving mistake during manufacturing. If so, it makes this camera an extremely valuable one.. rare (I would surmise).

If it is indeed engraved with "Lecia", then my coin is on "fake".

11. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Quite true, but the "Lecia" misspelling could just as easily be the OP's chronic misspelling of the name when typing. That is why I suggested comparing the camera to the pictures in the real IIIg manual. The IIIg viewfinder arrangement is quite different from that of any of the FSU bodies that are used for fakes.

12. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    Also possible... OP spelled it "Lecia" 5 times now... now that would have been funny if it was indeed a chronic misspelling.