led strip & lcd panel lighting ???

icondigital

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
icondigital.deviantart.com
does anybody have any experience with led strip lighting or lcd panel lighting?
i'm looking for the closet thing to daylight for indoor shooting.

thanks for any advice! :hail: :thumbup:

jeff

I have no idea what this led/lcd stuff is apart from the fact that they must be little light things.... and from what you say I assume they're the same temperature as daylight.... rather than tungsten..... and that you're wanting to shoot indoors.

I've always just used a Blue 80A filter with my tungsten lighting and it works fine. But anyway... that's not answering your question.

Back to our regularly scheduled program......

Why not just tungsten lighting with tungest based film (or equivalent White Balance)?? I would imagine it difficult for LEDs to produce enough light and LCD panels used just to emit light must be terribly expensive...

RickyN29 said:
Why not just tungsten lighting with tungest based film (or equivalent White Balance)?? I would imagine it difficult for LEDs to produce enough light and LCD panels used just to emit light must be terribly expensive...
trying to reduce glare as much as possible on long shiny cylinder shapes! :confused:
you're right though the led strips are pretty pricy! :(

icondigital said:
trying to reduce glare as much as possible on long shiny cylinder shapes! :confused:
you're right though the led strips are pretty pricy! :(

Diffusers/softboxes/reflectors won't do the trick?

A quicker set up is one idea. Another idea is too take the time and go with super difuse lighting. You will find that people (eventually) hire you on great lighting.

craig said:
A quicker set up is one idea. Another idea is too take the time and go with super difuse lighting. You will find that people (eventually) hire you on great lighting.
just a hobby for me! ;)
could you recommend some make and models of type you are referring to? :D

thanks

craig said:
Check out http://www.smithvictor.com/ http://www.lowel.com/
Lowell is expensive and Smith Victor is more reasonable. I have found tungsten lights too be softer and a lot easier to control. The light is especially pleasing through diffusion or bounced off of some thing white.
did you happen to see the lowell ego lights? how do you think they would compare to the tungsten lights? :confused:

thanks craig! :)

jeff

Looks like it will produce a nice light. I have never used them. Investigate and see if it can be put on a light stand or something. You may run into trouble if the light source needs to be close to the subject.

I use a pair of Westcott spider-lites with 5 23 watt florescent bulbs. They supply bulbs that are 5000K color temp and the result is very pleasing. In the shop I have softboxes, and for location I have a pair of "shoot-though" umbies. The soft boxes produce a better, softer light but the umbrellas setup quick and still are quite nice. These might be a less pricey alternative that LCD panels.

Most reactions

Back