Left my DSLR at home - Never again.

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by PhotoXopher, Jul 17, 2009.

1. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    How quickly I forgot why I love my camera so much.

We had plans to go to the fair last night and after thinking about it I just didn't feel up to taking along my DSLR (Nikon D90) for various reasons such as:

Didn't feel like carrying it.

Didn't want it in the way when trying to fumble around with my 3 young kids (6,2,1).

Worried about something happening to it (food/drink mostly).

I decided to settle on my 3.1 megapixel camera built into my phone, and as a backup my 'old' Fujifilm f45fd point and shoot digital that is now my wife's camera, after all - I loved this thing when I got it.

Well I have to say I regretted my decision, why?

SLOW! From start up to taking a photo felt like an eternity, and not only that but it took several seconds between shots. Also, there's no viewfinder - odd that I look at this as a negative now since it was a huge selling point when I bought it... wow, look at that big LCD display! Last but not least, very limited control.

Needless to say, when we got home I quickly grabbed my Nikon, held it close and went to take some photos. :lol:

Lesson learned.

From now on I may remove the grip and grab my 50mm lens to make things more compact and light, but I'll never leave home without it again.

I know, never say never... but I'll work on it!

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

I was so tired of shutter lag and poor low light capabilities on my P&S camera. I bought a D40X and kit lens just for this situation. I wanted something cheap and small / light. I take it when I don't feel like lugging a D300 and f/2.8 lenses all over the place. Expecially if I feel there is a damage or theft issue.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    for a point and shoot, the f45 ain't bad though.

4. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're right, it's a great camera and like I said - I loved it, the photos come out really good too. But it's hard adjusting to once you get used to the speed of a DSLR.

I hear you there, and I kick myself for selling my D40 after I got my D90... oh well, live and learn - I'm always on the prowl for a bargain D40.

5. MBasile

MBasile TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I regretted not having my DSLR last night too, I was driving through San Francisco and passed the building where Wolf Camera had been, empty building with a "for lease" sign on it, but the Wolf Camera sign still above the window. Would have been a nice "sign of the times shot." But alas, I too opted not to go out with the DSLR :(

6. In2daBlue

In2daBlue TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My photojournalism mentor who helped me along when I first got into the business offered this piece of advice, which I find I remind myself of more than I should:

"Talk yourself into bringing the camera with you, rather than into leaving it at home."

Great advice.

7. Turbo

Turbo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My DSLR and I are inseparable at this point. Since it was dropped off by the Big Brown Truck, I don't think I've been more than 20 meters away from the camera. It goes everywhere.

I forgot the battery for my P&S once...and I've left my CF cards at home because I left them by the computer. Every time I forget something, there is something I have to get a photo of. Never fails.

8. AtlPikMan

AtlPikMan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When i leave home without mine, I find myself thinking, "I dont have my camera, I hope nothing happens"

9. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL... you guys need help. Photographer's Anonmymous?

Hi... my name is Jerry... and I am obsessed with missing a photo op... ANY photo op.

:lmao:

10. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pretty much sums up my reasoning for getting a DSLR in the first place... with 3 little ones I have a lot of moments to capture, and knowing I have something to capture them with would really tick me off if I missed something.

:lol:

11. DRB022

DRB022 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha same here