Left or Right?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Same spot, same model. Different directions.

Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 12.48.43 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 12.48.54 PM.jpg

Which do you prefer? Why?

Last edited:
The second one, with the model looking left. The one of her looking right has a lot of negative space to the left and the pose/posture looks really awkward, IMO.

Top one, for the visual tension, and her expression, both of which are better in the upper shot. The upper shot also has a better "feel" for the panoramic aspect it is framed in. In the second shot, her expression seems "meh"...there's nothing really engaging about the expression she's trying to project in the second photo. The first expression is better. Since SHE is such a huge part of this shot, what she does is critical in evaluating these two shots against one another.

Up or Down.LOL #2 but not crazy about that pose either.Shoulders are a little to far back for my liking and think you cropped to close to the elbow.JMO

In the end,its all what you and the lovely lady likes that counts.

1. I like her expression and pose in it better.

I also wanted to consider leading lines... in #1 she's looking in the direction the railroads are curving. In #2 she's looking in the angle they come in from.

Leading lines work best if they are leading the viewer's eye toward something of interest. These tracks are not doing that.

I like both, but for different reasons.

#1 tells a mystery. It looks like she's just heard something, looked back to see what it was, and is going "Oh." She doesn't look alarmed, more like "I was hoping I wouldn't run into you."

#2 offers a bit of a resolution. She's watching something go, but she's neither excited by the departure nor dismayed. It's sort of a "yes, you're going. Now I can get on with my life" look. The expression may be "meh" like Derrel says, but for me that's part of it's charm.

I find the first one more interesting. Why this aspect ratio? I'd crop off the left, bring it back 6x4 and place her on the third. I also think there is some finessing of the pose but that wasn't the question asked.

Most reactions

Back