Legal Problems with Photographing in US

yeah too bad they didn't put that much concern in someone who wanted to learn to fly a jet but not want to learn how to land it.

If they are putting their attention on people taking pictures then they are letting the real terrorist get away. If you get suspicious of everyone taking pictures then how in the hell are they going to put the attention on who they should.

thebeginning said:
i want to move to the UK. well, not really, but at least visit. especially after getting a photography monthly magazine (based in the UK).

Photographic Monthly? I just got my first issue and it had a section on areas around the UK as well as an insert of their 50 top spots.

...that's just absolutely ridiculous. That whole "national security" excuse is abused to no end. Stopping photographers from shooting anything and everything is not going to deter terrorism. It's just as easy to find anything you could possibly need to know online to plan out an attack. I seriously cannot deal with abuse of the law like this.

I know that I have had second thoughts about shooting some things around Houston and I know people have been questioned shooting buildings downtown. My bigger concern is running into police officers or security guards who don't really know the law and have no desire to be reasonable.

Aoide said:
I know that I have had second thoughts about shooting some things around Houston and I know people have been questioned shooting buildings downtown. My bigger concern is running into police officers or security guards who don't really know the law and have no desire to be reasonable.

Show them this. http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm I always carry a copy around with me. I think they will be reasonable if they know the law is on your side. I think the biggest problem with police officers/security guards is that they either don't know your rights, or they do and assume you don't. Next time one of them confronts you, politely show them the document. If they keep pressing tell them you will gladly take them to court. I haven't gotten to tell them that yet, but I'm sure it'd feel great! :D

This person knows all about that flyer, but that isn't going to stop an overzealous guard. A guard puffed up on his power is going to care less about a piece of paper that you wave at him. This hasn't happened to me, but I personally am not looking forward to such a confrontation.

I do keep a copy with me and I think it is a great recommendation for anyone who may run into something like this. But I'm also still going to be cautious. I don't think it would be wise to freely shoot the chemical plants, the water plants, or the ship channel. I think you have to be aware of what you are doing and the consequences. But they can't stop me from shooting downtown. I can give up chemical plants and the ship channel, but not downtown. :)

There is NO proof whatsoever of photography related to the planning of a terrorist act. It may make good television dramas, but it is not realistic.

skieur

Any particular reason to bring up a 6 year old thread? Or did you just get lost in the search archives ;)

An unintentional search sidetracked me and I did not notice the date. OOPS.

skieur

There is actually a lock and dam on the St.Croix / Mississippi River on the Wisconsin / Minnesota border with an observation platform to watch the ships go through as well as watch the bald eagles in the area (Alma, WI) and they encourage photos be taken from the platorm showing this. It is actually a big draw for their tourism in this town.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back