Legal stuff and photography

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ahelg, May 30, 2006.

1. ahelg

ahelg TPF Noob!

I was wondering where I can find info about what copyright laws apply to images. I'm making a website using Clikpic and I'm going to have a page called "Legal" which basicly describes the copyright of my photos, etc. Here is what I've currently written.

2. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Now I'm not sure about the actual copyright notice, seems good to me but I don't know much about that. What I wanted to say is if you can include javascript in your website, add a script to disallow copy+paste of your photos.

3. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Various websites try and disable right clicking of images and preventing of downloading of images but anyone with any computer savvy can bypass these.
    Every image you view is stored on your pc - whether you like it or not. Those who know where to look, can easily access where those images are stored and simply copy them to another location and use them as they wish.

4. SantosD50

SantosD50 What!! There's a ranking system?

Queens, NY (Home), Berrien Springs, MI (School)
    Copyrights are usually paid for, but by law (in the states), using your legal name as the copyright
    Code:
     Copyright © 2006 dos Santos
    it becomes a legal copyright!

My 2¢

5. ahelg

ahelg TPF Noob!

Yeah I read somewhere that when a person take a picture, they legally hold the copyright to that image, regardless of if they have registered it or not. The problem ocours if someone does use your work and you can't prove that it belongs to you, then a properly filed copyright would have saved your skin, if you had one.

6. Soocom1

Soocom1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try this link, and get a copy. Barns and Nobel should carry it as well.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1581152256/102-4114839-9961752?v=glance&n=283155"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1581152256/102-4114839-9961752?v=glance&n=283155[/ame]

Keep in mind that the copyright laws are now being adjusted here in the US.

Now as I understand it, (and I may be WWWAAAYYY wrong on this), so take it with a grain of salt; but once the photo is in public domain (meaning available to the public) you can view it on your computer or what/whereever as much as you want. It is when you try to take credit or profit off of the image is when you get into trouble if you havent been granted CR rights.