Legal Stuff...

burnws6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Besides your regular business license, is there anything else needed to charge for your work?

Lol, its just that I am going to be shooting some vignettes for a huge design companj and I want to male sure I have everything in check.

Sorry for the spelling I'm on my blackberry

I don't know if you even need a license... Then again, I'd ask to be paid in cash and then not tell uncle sam, if you know what I mean.

I don't know if you even need a license...

Don't need one in Illinois.

For the job you have coming up, you'll be an independent contractor. The client may want you to fill out a W9 (that's your name, address and SS#) so they can issue you a 1099 at year's end.

If you ever start re-selling merchandise, you'll need to register with the state for sales tax. And if you ever hire an employee (put someone on the payroll), you'll need to set that up with the federal government.

-Pete

So you're telling me I didn't need to get a license for doing photography? that makes no sense.

Or are you talking about not needing a license to do commercial work?

I don't think you need to be licensed to be an independent contractor in an unskilled field. by unskilled, I mean as in not a plummer or carpenter, etc.

Ahh got it. Ok yeah, that makes sense. I'm pretty sure I'm fine, these people are just intimidating and I know they're going to pull paperwork and contracts left and right so I just wanted some piece of mind.

If you don't have one already, I'd recommend forming a corporation to insulate you from liability, especially if you're signing contracts you're not going to thoroughly read. You can find the forms on your state's Department of State website. It usually costs under $200, and you can most likely be up & running right away (depending on the laws of your state).

If you don't have one already, I'd recommend forming a corporation to insulate you from liability...

I'm not sure why this is always cited. What sort of liability do we need protecting from? Yes... a corporation is a separate legal entity, but that simply makes the corporation and it's officers liable. Guess who they are.

Still... aside from business insurance to protect me from claims that my equipment or premises injured someone, I can't imagine what I need fear. I have only one employee (very part-time).

If I fail to fulfill any contract, I'm liable.... incorporated or not.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

-Pete

From my understanding you want to be incorporated or in some states have LLC (which is like a smaller version of being incorporated) so that if someone were to sue you, you can't lose personal effects like houses and cars. They can take the business down, take everything that is involved with the business but they wouldn't be able to take your personal assets. If you don't LLC or incorporate, and someone sues you and wins, they can take your personal assets like your home and cars and tvs to make up the difference in what they won.

...if someone were to sue you, you can't lose personal effects...

I can't give an intelligent response to this. I suspect the nature of the claim might have some bearing on it. You may be absolutely right, but I suspect the officers of the corporation will have some liability. (Is there a lawyer in the house?)

Either way, I believe the better way to limit my liability is with a contract. I use a contract for weddings, since the amount of money is substantial and emotions would be high (to say the least) if something goes wrong. There's no good way to do additional photography to complete a wedding contract. And, being such a personal, emotional event, I'm certain an angry couple would want to punish me in the worst way, making it their new hobby to get it done.

My wedding contract is VERY brief, outlining the payment schedule and stating that if I fail to deliver, my liability is limited to the refund deposits paid.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back