Legalities of photographing a car accident?

"It's not self centered if he's right. It's like someone who is offended by a store that sells comic books and will go into a fit of rage murdering anyone in sight if they see a comic book. What will the law say? Don't go anywhere where there are comic books."

Nonsense. So, a beautiful woman with a baby with a cleft palette is going down the street and you think the contrast between beautiful and deformed is fascinating so you start clicking away. She gets upset and you sneer and say, "Hey, you don't want your picture taken, stay home." Hey, it's legal. I watched a man get within two feet of an old blind woman's face and start clicking away. She heard and asked what was happening but, hey, there's no law that says he has to answer her, is there. He took a few more pictures and strutted off. Legal. Probably and after all you can tell her to stay home.

One can be a totally self-centered person without breaking the law. The comic book scenario is not a valid comparison. I certainly have no problem taking photos. I love taking photos. But, there are times and places when I ask permission. I don't think my desire to take a photo trumps everything.

Ok Patrickt, then head over to your lawyer and change the law.... heheh lol

Again... history and even current events show how a society that you wish for degrades human rights all together..

Next we'll write into law how people should dress.
Next we'll write into law how people should act
Next we'll write into law how people should live

all in the name of keeping people from "irritating" other people. Or perhaps spin it around.... all in the name of overly sensitive immaturity.

what's next???

The space alien who doesn't want to be photographed so they don't get discovered????

btw.. I don't like being called self-centered for quoting and educating you on the law.

Nonsense. So, a beautiful woman with a baby with a cleft palette is going down the street and you think the contrast between beautiful and deformed is fascinating so you start clicking away.

what I say is such big Nonsense that its actually protected by law... yeh. Easy solution... I find babies with cleft palettes disturbing. Lets make them illegal and kick them out. (I'm JOKING...)

Last edited:
I find it sad that so many photographers here are up in arms about their rights to photograph whatever they please, and yet will not grant people the right not to be photographed. Is it so important that we get the image we want, regardless of the hurt it does to others?

Reg, you seem to jump on the slightest hint of copyright infringement, but you don't seem to respect the most precious copyright we have, that of our own image, to be used as we see fit, not up to the whims of others.

Respecting other's rights is as important as maintaining your own, and sometimes, in my opinion, more so. Especially when that person is not in a position to speak for themselves.

Regards, Chris.

Yeah I was kinda wondering why the OP wanted to take a picture of an accident so bad.:scratch:

Usayit and EasyTarget: You don't get it. I don't like more laws and would hate to see more laws and restrictions on where you can take photos and how you can take photos.

And, I won't be responsible for more laws. It isn't people like me that got the sign in the museum down the street that says, "No tripods." No, it was people like you who would set up a tripod in a doorway and if anyone objected they would shout, "I have a right to set my tripod here. If you don't like it, don't come into the museum." Fine. Now, you don't get to use a tripod in the museum. I really wouldn't care if they said that inconsiderate self-centered people couldn't have a tripod but they say no one can.

The church down the street has a sign they put up that says, "A private ceremony is in progress, please, be respectful and don't take pictures." Guess what? It doesn't work. Oh, I try to be respectful on don't interfere but there are those who will interupt the ceremony with their picture taking. Hey, they have a right to take their pictures and if you don't like it, don't get married. So, I suspect soon, the church will have a sign that says no cameras without a permit.

It's the self-centered people who are going to do as they please and if you don't like it, get off the street, who will bring in laws and restrictions. There are concepts such as courtesy, consideration, and accommodation which really go a long way towards making life more tolerable.

I've said it so many times, I've added it my signature:

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

One of my very favorite quotes.

And, I won't be responsible for more laws. It isn't people like me that got the sign in the museum down the street that says, "No tripods." No, it was people like you who would set up a tripod in a doorway and if anyone objected they would shout, "I have a right to set my tripod here. If you don't like it, don't come into the museum."

No its you that don't get it. You can discuss all the situations all you want and twist a story in your favor. For each one, there are other "stories" to the contrary. One of the rules of thumb of a debate is that you use facts. In this case, law.

Museum is generally private property thus they have every right to enforce the "No tripods" policy for which I have no problem.

move on.. you have absolutely no stance.

The church down the street has a sign they put up that says,

Again... church is private property... and one could place the ceremony as a place or event of reasonable expectation of privacy. So again your understanding of the law and what it states is severely lacking.

It's the self-centered people who are going to do as they please and if you don't like it, get off the street, who will bring in laws and restrictions. There are concepts such as courtesy, consideration, and accommodation which really go a long way towards making life more tolerable.

Again.. you have no standing in this discussion nor any debate on the topic. Stop for a second and actually read something useful on the topic and pay attention to the other posts. You rarely read what I"m posting and simply mouth off.

The only way to learn is to close mouth and open ears..... your entire post is completely off base. You don't even understand the difference between private and public property. You should start there.

You're legally allowed to, but the cops don't like it. Why? In case you capture anything on film that contradicts the police testimony as to what happened. They claim that you're obstructing an investigation, which is complete and utter crap usually.

Photographer catches photos of car accident. Troopers throw him into squad car and arrest him after refusing to comply with their orders to delete the images.

It's reasons like this that I plan on moving out of the United States.[/quote]

You are taking the fault of a few police officers and stereo-typing the whole damn force. You can't blame everyone for a few bad apples.

The US sucks and we all know it :p

THEN MOVE OUT... Go with the Dixie Chicks and get the hell out if you don't like the country so much!

^^^ Oh gawd... the thread has officially gone off the deep end.

Can I suggest we all go post on some other thread and walk slowly and quietly away from this one?

:delete:

You're legally allowed to, but the cops don't like it. Why? In case you capture anything on film that contradicts the police testimony as to what happened. They claim that you're obstructing an investigation, which is complete and utter crap usually.

Photographer catches photos of car accident. Troopers throw him into squad car and arrest him after refusing to comply with their orders to delete the images.

It's reasons like this that I plan on moving out of the United States.[/quote]

You are taking the fault of a few police officers and stereo-typing the whole damn force. You can't blame everyone for a few bad apples.

THEN MOVE OUT... Go with the Dixie Chicks and get the hell out if you don't like the country so much!

Can you find me a job and pay for me to move to Japan?

I pretty sure that Usayit wouldn't go harrassing a blind woman just because he's legally allowed to take photos of her. That's where that whole consideration thing comes in. He's just pointing out that it's legal to photograph anyone in a public place.

You should thank god you don't live in Lodon if you have a real issue with being photographed. You'd be on CC TV all the time?

I pretty sure that Usayit wouldn't go harrassing a blind woman just because he's legally allowed to take photos of her. That's where that whole consideration thing comes in. He's just pointing out that it's legal to photograph anyone in a public place.

Exactly.. of course I would use consideration and be aware of people's feelings. I'm a pleasant fellow that deals with rude people all the time. Sometimes I wish I could sue people for rudeness (I'd be wealthy) but it is their right (to be rude) and I have to respect that.

What I do have a problem is when someone (Patrickt) who is obviously ignorant of the law calls me self-centered when corrected.

I say pass a law that specifically forbids any action that pisses me off... because in my mind its rude. :irked:

The Dixie Chicks = Real Americans! But they don't want to move out. They recognize the nazi element that is in control of the US and they want to change things. I take it you like (worship?) that sorta thing and want it to continue?

Can you find me a job and pay for me to move to Japan?

Yeah, here the "cops" don't say anything if you show up and start photographing an accident. They do carry around large blue tarps though and cover scenes if there's a privacy issue (any exposed flesh). It's a nice way to handle things!

You should thank god you don't live in Lodon if you have a real issue with being photographed. You'd be on CC TV all the time?

I hear most of the major cities in the USA are no different. In Japan we have security cameras in stores but nothing on the street. We have them on the freeways here for speeding tickets as the "cops" here don't issue speeding tickets (usually) on the freeway. But I think they don't use them. There was a whole year when I had to drive about 80 miles to work and back (Kanazawa Institute Of Science And Technology) and I flew at about 110 MPH right past them almost every day and never got a ticket. :D

--
As for the McD Roo meat that was an actual US FDA (I think) vrs. McD's court case in the early 70's but it's been sealed and now only floats around as a rumor or is called an urban legend. I think it's interesting how history can be rewritten given a little effort from a few liars and some time. ;) There were three companies busted for it. I think if I remember right Jack In The Box was closed down and sent packing as a result of it. I think they didn't stop using it after they got busted so their lic. was revoked or something.

Last edited:

The Dixie Chicks = Real Americans! But they don't want to move out. They recognize the nazi element that is in control of the US and they want to change things. I take it you like (worship?) that sorta thing and want it to continue?

Right... real American's who just want to make a scene and cause a fight.
I don't worship the system but, I do like order and I like things to remain in control. If someone is doing something stupid or dangerous they should pay the consequences(sp?). I don't think that people should get away with things just because they are having a "rebel stage". My neice got busted a few weeks ago for stealing $500 worth of stuff from a store. She was "just having fun, and trying to get away with it." But ya know what, she was being stupid, she was doing something illegal, she freakin deserved to get caught and get into trouble. Someone said before that stealing is a victimless crime. Well what if you are the one who was being robbed, how would you feel? OMG you would feel victimized.. Because you are the victim.
The reason we Americans have laws is so that people don't get hurt. We have people in jail and prison, because they were being stupid, or hurting other people, whether it be physical violence, murder, rape, or robbery, they deserve to be there. But just like those cop videos, we have some that really don't deserve to be in jail or even in a position of power. But the world or the country is not perfect and you can't judge a book by its cover or even by a few bad pages.
Yeah we aren't as freakin lenient as Japan, but we aren't Japan. We have a system that works, and that keeps people safe. So if you want to live in a country that lets people be stupid, and dangerous, then by all means stay where you are. But I would like some order in my life, and know that the judicial system, which is also not perfect, will create some sort of resemblance of balance.

Right... real American's who just want to make a scene and cause a fight.

Sometimes you have to. When ACTUAL Nazis start taking over the place and setting up a tyrannical system I guess that's the best time to do it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back