Leica cameras and lenses

zoom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Why are these things are very expensive. What makes a leica M series camera very precious ?

Also even the cheapest lens starts from about $1.400

Why does a Mercedes cost so much more than a Hyundai?
Why does a Rolex cost so much more than a Casio?

Some of it is just because they really are better than the rest. Some of it is just a luxury tax (you pay more to get the best).

Leica equipment is built to a higher standard than other brands,and the degree of human-performed quality assurance is higher than in mass-produced, high-volume factories where entire cameras and entire lenses are built and not checked for tolerances. Leica's volumes are much smaller than in the factories of the larger camera and lens makers. Also, the quality and design of the materials is higher than on mass-market equipment; Leica bodies and lenses are built to last,literally, a lifetime. If you've ever picked up and held an M-series Leica and lens, you'll know the feeling of quality that the equipment exudes. It's not made to hit a price point--it's made to be as good as it can be.

Leica equipment is built to a higher standard than other brands,and the degree of human-performed quality assurance is higher than in mass-produced, high-volume factories where entire cameras and entire lenses are built and not checked for tolerances. Leica's volumes are much smaller than in the factories of the larger camera and lens makers. Also, the quality and design of the materials is higher than on mass-market equipment; Leica bodies and lenses are built to last,literally, a lifetime. If you've ever picked up and held an M-series Leica and lens, you'll know the feeling of quality that the equipment exudes. It's not made to hit a price point--it's made to be as good as it can be.

However their technical features are not as good as ones of canon or nikon, so i think it' more than quality, just a satisfaction of having the expensive one which nobody can easily reach.

Thanks for replies

However their technical features are not as good as ones of canon or nikon, so i think it' more than quality, just a satisfaction of having the expensive one which nobody can easily reach.

Thanks for replies

Sounds to me like you already had your mind made up before asking the question... :thumbdown:

If you ask a lady why they buy those expensive LOUIS VUITTON bags, they will tell you they are better. :er: hum.....

Derrel is right...

You also have to remember that Leica is a small privately owned company trying to reinvent itself in the digital age. Essentially, they like a Watch/Clock company that has perfected mechanical movements over the past decade with the highest reputation for quality... and the market is now asking them to make digital watches/clocks with quartz movement.

Fortunately, they have a loyal base that keeps them going. I sure hope they survive long enough to reinvent itself. I think they have already paid a high price already on some bad marketing decisions.... but hey.. what can you do?

Does anyone have more information on the Leica R 800mm f/6.3?

They say it's "very rare," but I've already found two listings on eBay:

Leica R 800mm f6.3 Apo-Telyt-S - eBay (item 370291820544 end time Jun-14-10 08:46:27 PDT)

and:

LEICA R 800MM 6.3 TELYT-S.RARE.NIKON CANON.EXC++ - eBay (item 150444008408 end time Jun-14-10 02:56:52 PDT)

There is also a Leica 800mm f/5.6 / 560mm f/5.6 (?) listed on eBay:

Arri PL Leica R Apo-Telyt 560 800mm lens Aaton RED ONE - eBay (item 280498048963 end time May-25-10 05:25:22 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back