Leica M3

So the only way to know if the camera is operational is to actually take pictures. Took my new-antique M3 with a handheld sekonic of the same vintage with me while I was out on some errands. Loaded with TMAX 100 and for the most part used sunny 16 rule. Processed the roll last night and was pleasantly surprised. Can't wait to get it into the darkroom for some enlargements.

I truely enjoyed this camera... Nice smooth operation... again.. nothing overly complex to get in the way. Its even more grassroots than my Pentax LX. There's definitely something really nice about shooting with a rangefinder of this caliber. You feel more connected with your surroundings.. you don't feel like you are observing it through a tunnel. I can definitely see why people would consider the M3 one of the best from the Leica line..... the Summicron 50mm f2 lens is sharp! Its got me thinking of things I could sell to get a 35, 90, and 135 summicrons (arm and a leg perhaps.) The photos below were all taken handheld, guessing the exposure, tmax 100, scanned on a epson 3170 flatbed, no sharpening, no filters, and levels adjusted.

Itsa keeper!

1)
150551622.jpg

2)
150551624.jpg

3)
150551626.jpg

4)
150551629.jpg

5) favorite place to take a mid afternoon nap.
150551636.jpg

hmmm... I wonder if there's a bit too much jpeg processing going on here. I am just now realizing that there's some processing going on when I upload to picturetrail on top of the processing that i'm doing (perhaps a bit too aggressive on the jpg compression). I'm still trying to figure the best way to post the pics to the web without too much loss in quality.

Do these look better to you?

http://www.silveredemulsions.com/temp/leica/index.html

really nuts....

I've been really enjoying shooting with this Leica M3 these past couple months and haven't turned back. A few opportunities have come up to purchase stuff for it at really good prices... ok .. I could have passed them up but... but.. oh well. Sold a few of my cameras of mine that has not seen use in a while and other things I could live without... All to help finance the following:

Far left.. 35mm f2.8 Summaron with goggles. Ok.. people told me I'd be happier with a Summicron 35mm lens. That lens goes for more than $1000+!! The new current version goes for ~several thousand~. I'm convinced there are even more nutty leica owners out there. This one is in excellent condition with hints of use

Middle.. 135mm f2.8 Elmarit with goggles in practically mint condition. I counted 12 aperture blades... thats really nice

Far Right.. 90mm f2 Summicron in good condition.

154062687.jpg

The whole set including a Leica MC meter I found for 30 bucks. It still works too... maybe a 1/2 stop under.

154062692.jpg

Oh and the camera itself with a well used Summicron 50mm f2 lens... its obviously used but the glass is clean.

154062682.jpg

The pics above were taken with the 50mm. I'm heading to Maine in a couple weeks... can't wait to give the others a shot. If the rain stops tomorrow maybe sooner.

And now you know... Leica is not a camera, it is a cult! :lol:

Congrats on all these wonderful accessories. Everything looks great! Now go out and shoot!...

very expensive cult indeed....
Luxury-GAS!! (get 'em all syndrom for the ones who'd be thinking GAS is a drug :D)
Mind your Leicameter, it sometimes scratches the top of the camera when taken off.
The Leica-nuttest people I've heard of are butchers in the south of France, who turned their shop into a Leica museum, still selling meat. They're very famous here.

Most reactions

Back