Leica M8 Preview

darin3200 said:
megapixels aren't all that important. I mean, the quality of the images from a 15mp cam with a kit lens or a mid-range lens can't compare to a 10mp leica shooting a fine 35mm summicron.---

That true but you are comparing a Leica body and glass to mid-range glass for Canon or Nikon, what I was thinking is that an enter level dslr body for Canon or Nikon is likely better that the M8 and then add high-end glass to it would make a better setup. So what would make the M8 better that compared to similar setup for Canon or Nikon?

Jeff Canes said:

That true but you are comparing a Leica body and glass to mid-range glass for Canon or Nikon, what I was thinking is that an enter level dslr body for Canon or Nikon is likely better that the M8 and then add high-end glass to it would make a better setup. So what would make the M8 better that compared to similar setup for Canon or Nikon?

No I was comparing a Leica body with good glass to a mid-range canon camera and lens.

In terms of technology nikon and canon have leica beat. But the differences aren't going to be on tests or in resolution, they are going to be the uses of the cameras and how they perform in the real world. Compared to an entry level DSLR an M8 is smaller, quieter, better buit, but also made for a different photographer.

darin3200 said:
--- an M8 is smaller, quieter, better built, but also made for a different photographer.--

Agree with smaller and quieter being positive attributes, but too me Canon & Nikon have a larger size range of quality lenses both fixed & zoom, in my option this helps their models at all levels have more versatility for different types of photography

The M8 would be a fine camera for cityscapes & landscapes with a wide or standard lens, but if you are out shooting in one of the national parks and come across wildlife you are not going to be able to walk to your car and get a 200mm or 400mm lens

Not sure what I think is more important smaller and quieter or lens versatile. Guess I favorer versatile being more important but smaller (lighter) does sound very nice.

Jeff Canes said:
Agree with smaller and quieter being positive attributes, but too me Canon & Nikon have a larger size range of quality lenses both fixed & zoom, in my option this helps their models at all levels have more versatility for different types of photography

The M8 would be a fine camera for cityscapes & landscapes with a wide or standard lens, but if you are out shooting in one of the national parks and come across wildlife you are not going to be able to walk to your car and get a 200mm or 400mm lens

Not sure what I think is more important smaller and quieter or lens versatile. Guess I favorer versatile being more important but smaller (lighter) does sound very nice.
Leica is just making it for their niche. They've tried with little sucess to go the SLR route and it didn't work. Most people buying an M8 aren't the photographers doing wildlife photos.

A large number of leica customers are street photographers who don't care about versatility but value size and noise a lot.

usayit said:
Rangefinder vs. SLR..
Well I think we did that, but I well go over it again (for 35mm focal plane shutter model)

Rangefinder “+” smaller, quieter, good lenses available, nice vignette with wide lenses, viewfinders are very easy frame subject “-” cost of lenses & camera mostly very high, smaller selection of lens, no zooms, likelihood of barrowing a lens from a friend at a fashion show low, slow shooting and FPS, need for different add on viewfinders for each lens and the flash must be bracked mounded when using the viewfinder

SLR “+” lots of differ lenses & camera available and at all price range from different manufactures, nice fix lenses for cheap this all adds up to more versatility for different type of photos for beginners IMO, quality zooms, easier to use for beginners (IMO), faster shooting and FPS “-” heavier, loader, intrusive, quality zooms very expensive

Leica fans are all nutcases and are guaranteed to buy this in droves, absolutely regardless of what any other manufacturer has or does.

I think it looks great, and I happen to like rangefinder focussing... but the price tag places it firmly in Rolex/Bentley territory - I'd have one if money were no object, but I'll stick with my "cheap" japanese habits for the time being!!

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back