Leica T or Leica X?

Leica T or Leica X?

• Leica T

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica X

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
You are the one that knows what you want from a camera and what is important to you. Decide what you want then you can make the descision otherwise you will just get told what other people want.

Well, the T is basically the same as an X, but with the option to change lenses. A telephoto and wide zoom are coming in early 2015 (I think january ?). The 35mm is not as bright as the one of the X, though (f/2.0 vs f/1.7).

Also, of course, the T has quite a bit better ergonomics (I consider the aperture dial of the X rather offensive, especially given the huge space for a aperture ring on the lens), and looks cooler, especially also from the backside.

Main dislike about the T: the T is SLOW to operate. I hope they'll work on that.

So its really just up to you.

All in all, you can expect excellent image quality, excellent build quality, and very beautiful, partially handcrafted cameras from Leica. You cannot expect top of the line autofocus performance though, and neither are they cheap.

P.s.: See also the excellent reviews of both cameras from Ming Thein:

Review: The 2014 Leica X Typ 113 – Ming Thein | Photographer
World premiere: The 2014 Leica T (Typ 701) review – Ming Thein | Photographer

Both are sexy, high-status cameras. I think the T has a more-modern, futuristic, chic appeal, whereas the X looks much more traditional, and would probably draw less outright attention. If you want a camera as a power/status/fashion symbol, the T is undoubtedly the better choice, at least to impress people who do not realize that the X is more costly. I myself kind of like the T's utterly sleek appearance and amazing unibody build concept.

Um, Derrel the T (of course!) costs more ... like all system (i.e. exchangeable lens) cameras, compared to compact (i.e. fixed lens) cameras of equal performance.

You cant use the T without a lens, and ANY lens for the T (only 2 choices right now, of course) will make the total price of the system jump high above the price of the X.

For example Leica Store Miami right now:

Leica T (Typ 701) : $1,850
Leica Vario-Elmar T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH : $1,750
Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH : $1,950
Leica X (Typ 113) : $2,295

...or forget the point & shoot style Leicas and buy a used M8.

The M8 is awesome if you can get past the negligible 1.3 crop and $50 IR/UV filters. It is an M body and for $1000 on ebay you can get a Walter Mandler designed Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 lens. Total cost is about $200 more than the X and for another $280, add a 2 year warranty through square trade.

Now you have entered the real Leica world and the shooting experience is intoxicating. My 2 cents.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back