Leica

Leica never allowed the stamping of a Swastika on their cameras in production. Sometimes you will see a scarce Leica sporting a Nazi symbol added post production. Leica was known to protect its own workers, many of them Jews which were later sent on a train out of Germany, just before the persecution. These Jewish Leica workers were sent to NY where they formed another 'branch' of the Leitz factory. Other 'branches' were added later in Canada and Portugal.

The fakes you see are made, as the above posters mentioned, in Ukraine. If money is a problem, then I would suggest not getting a fake Leica but a Russian Zorkii. Then you will get the feel for its action, rangefinder, shutter and all. Much cheaper that way. And there are some decent Russian lenses as well to be found.

I was at a swap meet early one morning when a seller pulled up and opened
his van and said he had a "bunch of Leicas" to sell for only $200 a piece.

I watched as he dug out about half a dozen cameras in cases to show me. At
that moment a rather rude fellow muscled his way in front of me and grabbed
all the cameras for himself. I saw as he opened the cases that they were
obvious fakes (like the "Luftwaffe Leica" on eBay linked to above) and I
walked off. A few minutes later I saw the rude guy with the cameras he'd bought
for $200/each. He thought he'd struck gold but in reality he'd be lucky to get
50 bucks each for them. I told him they were fakes and only worth maybe $50
but it was too late -- he'd already bought them and he thought I was trying to
scam him and he walked away in a huff clutching his cameras. :lol:

usayit,

You're right about the m4 not having a meter. I had a friend who bought an m4-p back about 1980 or so and I could have sworn that it had a meter in it, but I guess I just imagined it. I've tried to buy the camera off of him, but he won't sell it :-(

Jerry

The M5 was first with TTL meter.

I was originally looking at an M2 (vs M3 because of the 35mm frame lines) or M4-2 based on price, but I decided I wanted a meter, so I spent a little more and ended up with an M6 classic. No regrets whatsoever. I love this camera. It's also got the quick loading system that the earlier M's lack, so that's a plus.

So I've been looking at getting a Leica recently, but I'm not real sure which one to get? Anyone care to enlighten me on which ones are better or worse? Any feedback would be awesome.

Any M6 is good place to start, if you want a rangefinder...though I always liked the M5.

Most reactions

Back