Len Alternatives...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Xmetal, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking at my next lens purchase and i've settled on the Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM but i'm still open to suggestions from the likes of Tamron and Sigma because as always, i'm searching for a good deal. :)

So far i've found the Sigma AF 70-200mm F2.8 EX APO which is a bit of a stretch on the budget but i'm willing to go that bit further for a good lens.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)

2. Marctwo

Marctwo TPF Noob!

Ooh... I got the wrong end of the stick - I was going to say 'Lenny'. :blushing:

<edit> * I'm wasted here! * </edit>

3. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    that 70-200 f4 is a terrific lens. What are you going to be shooting mostly? If you dont need the extra stop, i say just stay with that one, it has a great price tag too.

4. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm planning on using it mainly for my car photography but I might throw in a bit of Nature photo work in the mix as well.

5. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tricky. Right now I have the f/4 version, and I have to say I love everything about it. But, I just cant shoot indoors with it :lol: which is making me contemplate one of 2 things (a) sell it and move to a sigma 2.8 or (b) wait till I get some money from one of the up coming weddings and move up to the canon 2.8 and then sell it.

I will tell you this though, I have taken a crap load of pictures with the f/4 and it has never let me down. That being said, I have to be lame and also tell you to go into a shop and try them out and see which you like :lol: - I cant think of any other lenses that are in the same kinda focal length.

Good luck Ian!

6. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got the 70-200 2.8 IS and absolutely LOVE it. That said, I use my 24-70 2.8 WAY more frequently and find that it is by far my most used lens. My breakdown.... 17-35 2.8 Sigma for Nature, 24-70 2.8 L Canon for portraits and nature and 70-200 2.8 IS L Canon for sports (mostly horse shows). I do love the 70-200 for it's compression when shooting nature but typically find that I like to show more of the scene than that lens allows. Just my 2 cents.

7. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    which focal length do you think you will end up using the most?