Lens Advice for 70D

regdawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am an amateur shooter and just purchased a Canon 70D, got a great deal. I mainly take shoot our vacation trips, special events, our kids activites, some portraits, and our dogs. I occasionally shoot scenery stuff if it comes around. I purchased the 18-55mm STM kit. The only other lens I have is the EF-S 55-250mm lens (non STM) from my previous Canon.

Are there other recommended Canon or aftermarket (sigma, etc) lenses that I should consider adding to my arsenal?

I would think the Canon 18-135mm STM lens would be a good choice for walkaround and general vacation type shooting.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you want to spend I guess. I will be upgrading my 18-55 kit lens to a sigma 17-70 /2.8 soon, but it will be quite expensive :apologetic:

I would think the Canon 18-135mm STM lens would be a good choice for walkaround and general vacation type shooting.
Agree with the 18-135 range. I got the 18-135 USM as the kit lens with my 70D and have been very happy with it. I notice that it tends to spend the most amount of time on my camera and my others tend to stay in the bag more. It is a great lens for vacations or doing the tourist rounds.

Agree with the 18-135 range. I got the 18-135 USM as the kit lens with my 70D and have been very happy with it. I notice that it tends to spend the most amount of time on my camera and my others tend to stay in the bag more. It is a great lens for vacations or doing the tourist rounds.

I should have gone with the 18-135mm, darn it. Well in any case I have the 18-55mm so I'll stick with that for now. Maybe I'll upgrade to the 18-135mm in the future. Would anyone recommend perhaps the EF 50mm F1.8? I know its more for portraits which I'll probably be taking alot of my family. Or do you think the kit lens will do?

I should have gone with the 18-135mm, darn it. Well in any case I have the 18-55mm so I'll stick with that for now. Maybe I'll upgrade to the 18-135mm in the future. Would anyone recommend perhaps the EF 50mm F1.8? I know its more for portraits which I'll probably be taking alot of my family. Or do you think the kit lens will do?
IMO, the 50 is okay, but with an APS-C body, you'll probably find the 18-55 more useful (especially as a walkaround lens). Use the 18-55 for a bit, save up that money, and splurge on a better lens.

Most reactions

Back