Lens Advice for D300s

NCD248

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice regarding a new lens please! I currently have a D300s and two lenses - Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5 VR, Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8

I will be doing some voluntary photography work at my sons school. This will include outdoor sports, indoor sports (poorly lit hall) and also some musical events all in poorly lit hall. I do have a SB 900 but would rather not have to use this at some of the events. I am not always going to be able to get close to the subjects so I am looking to get a zoom lens that will perform better in low light. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Hello I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice regarding a new lens please! I currently have a D300s and two lenses - Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5 VR, Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8

I will be doing some voluntary photography work at my sons school. This will include outdoor sports, indoor sports (poorly lit hall) and also some musical events all in poorly lit hall. I do have a SB 900 but would rather not have to use this at some of the events. I am not always going to be able to get close to the subjects so I am looking to get a zoom lens that will perform better in low light. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

A lot depends on budget of course, your best bet is going to be a 70-200mm F2.8 of some sort. The Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 with VC would probably be my first recommendation, but they generally run $1200 or so new, hard to find used. Sigma 70-200 mm with OS usually run around $700 used, or if you are on a more limited budget you can look for a used Sigma 70-200 mm without the OS.

I don't recommend the non-vc version of the Tamron, it had some AF issues particularly in low light.

Thanks

A lot depends on budget of course, your best bet is going to be a 70-200mm F2.8 of some sort. The Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 with VC would probably be my first recommendation, but they generally run $1200 or so new, hard to find used. Sigma 70-200 mm with OS usually run around $700 used, or if you are on a more limited budget you can look for a used Sigma 70-200 mm without the OS.

I don't recommend the non-vc version of the Tamron, it had some AF issues particularly in low light.
Thanks for the reply. Will have a look into the Tamron!

Keep in mind the 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G-series as a very low-cost, but very wide-aperture telephoto lens. It's small, light, and only about $400 new with warranty, plus it has very amazing optics. It will also pair up perfectly with the 35/1.8 AF-S you own.

Most reactions

Back