Lens advice-I have used the search feature and read many pages but am undecided

Silverbackmp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for advice about lens and my shooting style.

I currently have a Nikon D80, Nickon 18-200vr lens, SB600 flash, and Kit 18-55 lens. Software includes PS Elements 5.0, Geniune Factuals 2.0, PTlens, and NIK Define Noise Reducer 2.0. 60% of my photos are candids of some form or another (either people I know or on the street). 35% are landscapeish and 5% macro.

I am frustrated with the 18-200mm vr and it's seemingly inability to get good sharp zoomed in candids and potraits in anything but the best light. The VR works well if the subject is motionless but I get too much fuzzyness if the lighting is not optimal and I have a moving subject. I am convinced that the Nikon 70-200mm F/2.8 will solve my sharpness woes (and provide decent boken) and will purchase this in the near future.

I am however, unconvinced that I would gain anything by purchasing a Nikon 17-55mm F/2.8. 99% if I am operating within this range it is at F8 or higher and shooting landscapes or other events where I want everything in focus. Would I gain anything other than a slight increase in sharpness in the corners by switching to the F/2.8 rather than using the Kit lens or the 18-200mm? Would it provide much more than PTLens and the excellent onboard sharpening built into Geniune Factuals? I am thinking I could save a bundle and get a 50mm F/1.4 or 70mm F/1.8 to use in conjuction with the 18-55 kit or 18-200 and be happy.

Thoughts?

If your issues are at the 200mm (zoomed in end), getting the 17-55 will do nothing for you.

You have 2 options as I see it:

- you can zoom in with your feet a little... at 150mm the 18-200 is very good.

- you could get the Nikkor 70-200 F/2.8.

BTW, I would suggest the Sigma 18-50 over the Nikkor 17-55 any day of the week. It is PROVEN sharper and better quality output at 1/3rd the price by several photography magazines in shootouts and by many users.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back