Lens advice Tamron 10-24mm + Samyang 8mm

Seventen

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Am looking for some advice on these lenses if anyone has used would be nice to hear some opinions please.

I have been using a 35mm 1.8 on a Nikon d5100 for landscapes and shots of the night sky and would like to move towards a bit more of a wide angle lens. Both these lenses I have mentioned are priced Samyang 180 euro, Tamron 220 euro. to me this seems like a good deal. I cant get to try them out as they are both located more than 200km away and by the time I drove there to test its a bit waste of money. So trying to get some advice and buy blindly.

Before people start saying by the Tokina 11-16 I would if I had the money but trying to get 500 euros to buy it used is not going to happen for quite some time. (Like a year)
In my price range the Sigma 10 - 20mm also pops up at around 200 some times so that could also be another choice if the other ones are really that bad.

Thank you.

The 8mm is a fisheye and has extreme distortion of the image. I have one (look at my avatar,) and it's fun, but it's not a "wide-angle" lens, it's a fisheye. For extreme wide angle, you'll want the 10-20 or 10-24, which keep a more rectangular image.

Ok thank you, I was aware of the distortion was hoping it could have been fixed a little on lightroom, or just try to get a little creative with the shot to make it work. But if it is too difficult maybe the Sigma or Tamron will have to do.

Use a fisheye for its effect, don't try to just make a wide-angle out of it.

You CAN use Transform, Warp in Photoshop (not a LR user, don't know if that's in LR....) to stretch the corners out and pull in the center edges to reduce the curvature, but it's a lot of work to make it look right.... In this example, the full fisheye looks better to me.

16329971992_3125247964_c.jpg

16143261408_e102201e6c_c.jpg

I've also been known to crop a fisheye shot top and bottom to make a panoramic out of it..... in this one I included a warp to flatten the horizon, and with no other horizontals or any verticals, there's no fisheye look to the result.

16330933455_d9a04f239f_c.jpg

15708502374_9a69b7c752_c.jpg

Forget the fisheye it's not what you want at all !!!!!!!

That's what I was saying. :) My examples were posted to show how difficult it would be to "fix" the distortion, which was asked about in post 3.

A fisheye is an effects lens, and can be used creatively, but it is NOT the same thing as a wide-angle lens.

Thanks, the images made it quite clear it is really not what I need though the creative side to it could be useful, I however have purchased the Tamron for 200 euros and hope to have it soon. Thanks for the help there.

Most reactions

Back