Lens advice

grrr8scott

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking about purchasing a walking around lens for a Nikon D7200. I've read good reviews for the Sigma 18-200 and 18-250. Anyone have any experience with either of those? Anyone have any other suggestions? Budget ideally under $500, but I could be convinced to go higher.

Sorry, no and no to both lenses, they are soft, slow and I would direct you to the Nikon 18-140mm which is probably the best kit lens you can get for DX made by Nikon.

Thanks for your post. I'm wary of a lens like the Sigma that has that big a range (plus macro (!)). But I dug up a review by N-Photo (an English publication) from 2015 that compared the Sigmas to Nikons, and said that the Sigmas were sharper. Thought I'd see if anyone had real world experience. I'm now leaning toward sticking with Nikon.

Thanks for your post. I'm wary of a lens like the Sigma that has that big a range (plus macro (!)). But I dug up a review by N-Photo (an English publication) from 2015 that compared the Sigmas to Nikons, and said that the Sigmas were sharper. Thought I'd see if anyone had real world experience. I'm now leaning toward sticking with Nikon.

The problem isn't so much Nikon vrs Sigma, etc. The problem is that any lens that has such a huge variance in focal lengths by it's design has to include a lot of compromises that affect image quality.

Such lenses are therefore usually not anywhere near as sharp at most focal lengths as a lens that covers a much shorter range of focal lengths.

That's why you don't see a lot of professionals using a 28-200 or 28-300mm, etc. The image quality isn't completely horrible, but it really isn't nearly as good as say a 70-200mm.

So if the intent here is to just have one lens "do it all" then yes, you can do that. But your going to be sacrificing image quality for convenience. For some folks that's worth it. Me? I'd rather carry two lenses. Pretty much up to you.

Thanks for those thoughts. When I got my first camera, I started out with the usual kit lenses - 18-55, 70-300. What I find, though, is that I'm often out with my grand-kids in places where I either have the wrong lens on the camera, or I'm constantly switching between the two, because they always seem to be on the wrong side of the 50 mm break point. I also do a bit of traveling, and was thinking that when I'm wandering around a new city, for example, maybe a zoom with a wider range of focal lengths might be better than always carrying an extra lens. I also don't want to buy a zoom of say 18-70, only to find out I still need to carry the longer lens. And then, there's always the possibility that I'm suffering from an undiagnosed case of GAS. *sigh*

Thanks for those thoughts. When I got my first camera, I started out with the usual kit lenses - 18-55, 70-300. What I find, though, is that I'm often out with my grand-kids in places where I either have the wrong lens on the camera, or I'm constantly switching between the two, because they always seem to be on the wrong side of the 50 mm break point. I also do a bit of traveling, and was thinking that when I'm wandering around a new city, for example, maybe a zoom with a wider range of focal lengths might be better than always carrying an extra lens. I also don't want to buy a zoom of say 18-70, only to find out I still need to carry the longer lens. And then, there's always the possibility that I'm suffering from an undiagnosed case of GAS. *sigh*

No worries. Probably the best advice I could give would be to go on Flickr and see if you can find "groups" for shots with the lenses your interested in, and take a look at the results others have gotten.

It's not 100% scientific of course, but it will give you a good idea as to what sort of IQ you can reasonably get with various settings on that lens, and it gives you full EXIF data so you know what settings were used, etc.

If you find the IQ acceptable it might be worth the investment for you. But that's kind of the most important part of the equation, finding what works for you.

I have been extremely happy with 18-140 kit lens I got with my D7200. It is still my 'walk around' lens.

I have been extremely happy with 18-140 kit lens I got with my D7200. It is still my 'walk around' lens.
Exactly, you get with this lens a very wide range on a DX body without the negative softness associated with all superzoom lenses.
18-200mm is ok but not very sharp.

For the record, my walk around lens with my entry level DSLR was back then the AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX. "Zooming" was done by feet.

I guess that would work, but I can't always "zoom" fast enough to keep up with my granddaughters!

What do you currently have? My current walk around is a 16-85 f/3.5-5.6 and I've been very satisfied with it. I'm thinking you are looking for something in the 18-200 range. Nikon makes a DX in that range that is pretty decent. (depending on who you ask)

I have the kit 18-55 and 70-300 I've been using with a d3200. I'm upgrading to a d7200. A lot of my photography involves grandkids' activities that require both sides of 50mm. At first I was thinking of something in the 18-70 range, but I travel several times a year and often need something longer than that. I've read a lot of reviews on the Nikon 18-140, and a fair number of those weren't happy with that lens. Sigma 18-250 reviews were pretty good, including decent image quality. I occasionally print travel photos at 8x10 or 11x14. I'm just trying to figure out what my best options are. Your thoughts are appreciated.

[...] At first I was thinking of something in the 18-70 range, but I travel several times a year and often need something longer than that. [...]
Are you aware that you can get two lenses, and simply switch to the telephoto lens if you need it ?

I have two lenses. I find that in a lot of situations (usually taking photos of grandkids), I'm having to switch lenses too frequently, and therefore missing shots.

I have the kit 18-55 and 70-300 I've been using with a d3200. I'm upgrading to a d7200. A lot of my photography involves grandkids' activities that require both sides of 50mm. At first I was thinking of something in the 18-70 range, but I travel several times a year and often need something longer than that. I've read a lot of reviews on the Nikon 18-140, and a fair number of those weren't happy with that lens. Sigma 18-250 reviews were pretty good, including decent image quality. I occasionally print travel photos at 8x10 or 11x14. I'm just trying to figure out what my best options are. Your thoughts are appreciated.
If you look at Dxomark tests of Nikon's "normal" DX zooms, you will see that there isn't much difference in any of them optically. The build quality of some may be higher than some of the others but, not much difference in IQ. The 18-140 is as good as any of them and better than the 3rd party offerings you are considering. The 18-55 you currently have be it plastic mount and rattly has descent IQ. The 70-300 is very good up to about 200. I'd look for a used 18-140 or 18-200

Most reactions

Back