Lens Advice

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by Zeeshan Mitra, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Zeeshan Mitra

Zeeshan Mitra TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello, I am a photography student pursuing my masters in commercial photography, recently I have been getting assignments to shoot events, like carnivals, weddings, concerts , these assignments are both paid and some are given by college. I shoot with NIkon so currently I have a 18-55 kit lens and 35mm prime. But the problem I am facing now is that while shooting events both the lenses end up letting me down on reach coz sometimes I just cant get close enough physical so I wish I had that extra reach, plus lowlight performance with 18-55 is just not good enough. And from next month we will be given assignments on fashion and product photography. So I have decided to get a new lens, since being a student I don't have much money, so I can buy only 1 lens. I have shortlisted 2 lens 1)Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 and 2) Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2.

So I would be really grateful if someone could help me get the right lens for my needs that is events, fashion and product photography.

Thank you

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The two lenses you mentioned are nice, but the 24-70 isn't much longer than your 18-50, so the 70-200 is probably a better option.

Tamron also do a 70-300mm vc USD that is quite nice and relatively cheap and may be a good option if you are not often shooting in low light

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zeeshan Mitra

Zeeshan Mitra TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you so much for replying, I was also contemplating about 70-200mm . I have the 70-300mm from Tamron the SP VC version, so I guess I will use that. Again thanks a lot, you helped me a lot, can't thank you enough.

4. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

If you already have an 18-55 and a 70-300mm and a 35prime, you have an awful lot covered.

It might be a better idea to buy something like a longer faster prime to get a little focal length and extra speed. I'm not sure exactly what prime would be best, but maybe something like a 85mm f1.8 would complement what you have with a lower light option