Lens Advise for Travelling

So, some one doesn't know if they should buy x or y focal length prime, and you think it's not good advice to say check on a zoom both lengths and see which one suits better. Ok then, I disagree with your disagreement:801:

Here's what I really think; read my post again and try to see what I actually said.

I don't need to. You read my post, quoted me and disagreed, something your quite entitled to do. I'm ok with that. I'm not asking you read it again, it's ok.

I can do the same

You can zoom the kit lens to get a feel for the "angle of view", but what it won't show you is how the lens will behave with aperture values lower than your variable focal ratio zoom will allow. For example, the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens at the 50mm focal length has a minimum aperture of f/5.6... but the "nifty fifty" has a focal ratio of f/1.8 and can produce a much shallower depth of field with stronger background blur. That means it won't be possible to preview the lens at shallow depth of field nor inspect the quality of background blur.

If you're interested in seeing what a lens can do, you can can get sample images of nearly any lens you might consider... shot either on a full-frame or crop-frame body... and at nearly any focal ratio supported by that lens.

Flickr allows photographers to include all the image meta-data from a shot -- which includes the camera model, lens model, and exposure settings. While there are a lot of lens-specific groups on Flickr (think of any lens and there's probably at least one Flickr group for shots taken by that lens), the problem is that not everyone knows about -- or bothers to post -- their images in those groups.

Pixelpeeper.com, on the other hand, searches the Flickr database for images that were taken with the camera, lens, and exposure meta-data included. They allow you to do searches.

So if you would like to know what a picture looks like taken on a Canon camera with an APS-C sensor using a 40mm f2.8 pancake lens specifically using the f/2.8 aperture setting, you can do a search for them... like this one:

Full-size sample photos from Canon 40mm F/2.8

Or if you'd like to see what a 50mm f/1.4 lens looks like at f/1.4, then you could look at this one:

Full-size sample photos from Canon 50mm F/1.4

Pixelpeeper allows user to rank the images so that the images voted best float to the front pages.

Just remember that these are "straight-out-of-the-camera" shots... these are posted to Flickr which means that many (possibly most) of them have likely had some post processing adjustments applied.

That's ok, but the original question was 24mm or 40mm

That's ok, but the original question was 24mm or 40mm

:BangHead:

Sorry TCampbell, your explanation was very good, and a nice way of seeing lens ability etc. My reply after yours was tongue in cheek, and I know you were using examples but any examples could be used for any lens. It just a case of humour not transferring to text (and I forgot to put a smiley face)

soufiej - I understand what you are saying, a zoom does not give an accurate example of what a prime can do due its difference in sharpness and the fact the primes generally have larger aperture and less distortion etc.

However, I still think that using a zoom to give you an indicator of what FOCAL LENGTH may suit a purpose better before buying a prime is a good idea.
You suggest buying from somewhere with a good returns policy. Where I come from that means if its defective it will be replaced, and if unopened you can get a full refund within 30 days, it doesn't mean buy a lens, use for a week and return it if unsuitable. Consumer laws may be different where you live, and to be honest I'd like to try before I buy, or at least have that type of return option, but I don't, so the zoom option is at least a viable option

Sorry TCampbell, your explanation was very good, and a nice way of seeing lens ability etc. My reply after yours was tongue in cheek, and I know you were using examples but any examples could be used for any lens. It just a case of humour not transferring to text (and I forgot to put a smiley face)

soufiej - I understand what you are saying, a zoom does not give an accurate example of what a prime can do due its difference in sharpness and the fact the primes generally have larger aperture and less distortion etc.

However, I still think that using a zoom to give you an indicator of what FOCAL LENGTH may suit a purpose better before buying a prime is a good idea.
You suggest buying from somewhere with a good returns policy. Where I come from that means if its defective it will be replaced, and if unopened you can get a full refund within 30 days, it doesn't mean buy a lens, use for a week and return it if unsuitable. Consumer laws may be different where you live, and to be honest I'd like to try before I buy, or at least have that type of return option, but I don't, so the zoom option is at least a viable option

First, I can switch between my 50mm prime and my zoom set to approximate 50mm and there is a slight difference between the field of view each lens provides. Not much but it's there.

Maybe I'm simply not being exact enough with the zoom but, if we have someone saying their 17mm isn't wide enough and they'd prefer 16mm, then some folks simply want more than approximations can provide.

Second, deal with a reputable company. I've spent over three decades in sales and quite often equipment was loaned out for an audition. In such cases, unless it was a very familiar client who had a shared trust with the store, we'd simply record a credit card number and a DL number. The card wouldn't be run until you called to give the OK.

And, at times, equipment was sold but returned for some reason within our 30 day return policy. This is how most businesses operate. Certainly those with a subjective opinion involved in decisions tend to even encourage some clients to try before they buy. But I'm a bit uneasy giving my money to someone with an "All sales are final" sign at the register. Yes, I've seen people abuse the good will of the store and the store get's screwed. That is a part of doing business. Not pleasant but it's a part of doing business.

This may open up a can of worms for some people but this is how some business must be done. If I loan you my demo, then you have a "demo" item in that I'm never going to rebox that item and sell it as new. Your credit card says you paid full price so, if you want a demo item at full price, be my guest as to how to deal with loaners.

But, the most important part of customer service is the client has had the opportunity to handle and hold and see or hear what they are considering as a purchase.

Since a camera and a lens make up an operating system, you cannot predict what you will or will not prefer until you actually use it. Let's say you were considering the 50mm f1.8 and the 50mm f1.4. If someone says I should buy what they want me to buy without any opportunity for me to audition either lens, then I'd do without the services of that vendor.

Literally, I can buy the item on line, from a big box or most likely from another vendor in the area, use it for two or three weeks and then return it. If it is not damaged and the packaging and warranty cards are there, no legit dealer should refuse a trial period.

I want to know what I'm buying. If you don't want to assist me in that task, I can find someone else who will.

That's from someone who never wanted to see a client pull up first thing Monday morning asking if I could help him get the box out of his trunk. Some items are simply best decided on when you have them to work with and pair with your other equipment.

Honestly, to use this as a reason to push a zoom lens rather than a sharper, faster and cheaper prime is, IMO, not at all logical.

You can't go wrong with a 400mm 2.8. :D

Personally if I were traveling I'd take my 24-105 f/4. One lens to rule them all. Since you have an APS-C sensor I'd take the 18-135.

Bring one lens and focus on enjoying the trip.

I have a couple of answers:

1. A lot depends upon what you intend to shoot. But I'm going to assume you'll be doing some landscape, a lot of architecture in old cities with some narrow streets, a lot of interiors of ancient or restored buildings with low light, some sunrise/sunsets, some street photography...does that sound about right? If so, what is going to be critical for you is a wide angle lens that is fast (f1.4, f1.8, or if it's got a longer focal length f2.8). I think for your purposes, the speed/aperture of the lens matters more than the focal length. Don't get me wrong, there is a difference between a 20mm and a 40mm focal length. But neither is any good for you if you're shooting in low light, can't use a tripod or flash and need to rely on ambient light. The insight of a chapel is a great example...narrow winding streets is another. And fast glass ain't cheap (which means maybe you might decide to rent it). In any case, I'd go for speed as the first priority given where you're shooting and what you're likely shooting.

2. Two bodies or one? Are you and your SO likely to split up (you go to the piazza and she hits the museum)? If so, bring two bodies. If you're going to do everything together, than unless you're both photo fanatics, bring one body.

3. Don't forget a lot of critical stuff...many extra SD cards, power converter plus adaptor, a small tripod (like a gorilla pod, or a bungee cord or a bean bag with a release) for that great sunset in the background while you're having dinner al fresco...or a selfie of the two of you with the duomo in the background. You probably won't want to haul a real tripod around but a small one that easily goes in to carry-on or the outside of a daypack works well. Extra batteries. Microfibre cloth to clean with. A polarizing filter for sunsets.

I've been to Venice, actually it is a great city for photos. But, for the casual American shooting along the canals it can be very dangerous. As for a lens, look for something wide. I used the Canon EF-S 10-22 along the narrow walkways along the canals. While shooting a church, I watched a woman with a Nikon backup to shoot the church front, and fell in the canal. There are no barricades to stop you from falling in. Of course you can walk to a bridge across the canal, but you may have to walk quite a ways. Wear good walking shoes in Venice, everything is on either stone, or concrete. I've never been to Milan, so can't help you there.

I'd assume, since you are debating between 2 relatively inexpensive primes, that a "nice zoom" (ie. 24-105mm f/4L) is out of the budget.

So you have to think about what you want pictures of?
  • Cool cityscapes and scenic street photography?
  • Pretty portraits of people (you two and the locals)?
My thought is that you'd want pictures of "stuff" from there and the wider lens would be better for canals, streets, churches, buildings, bridges, etc. The 24mm seems to be a better fit for this occasion as you could use the zoom to get decent portrait length shots (as I don't think you'd want a super shallow DOF because then you couldn't tell that you were in Venice, it could be anywhere since the background would be out of focus).

Most reactions

Back