Lens and Store recomendations

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by misterman8, Oct 5, 2005.

1. misterman8

misterman8 TPF Noob!

I am looking for a telephoto lens for my Elan 7N. Yes I shoot on 35, and no I don't want a lecture about digital, thank you. My budget is well, as inexpensive as possible, but ya know, probably between 150-200 stirling. Which brings us to question 2. I just moved to the UK for the year, and I am looking for a shop I can go in a talk to someone who knows what they're doing and actually put my paws on the lens and try it out. I am living on the west side of London, in Uxbridge, but I don't mind a nice tube ride if I need to. I went to Jessops today and they had no clue. I am going to be traveling around europe and I would like something that suits outdoor and animal stuff well. Any recomendations as far as lenses to look at or sotres to visit would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks...

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of members from around there, they should be able to offer store advice.

3. misterman8

misterman8 TPF Noob!

if anyone can point me towards a good, reliable processing place in the area that would be great.

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm assuming you mean prime telephoto and not a zoom.

Just my 2 cents... I've been trying to get my hands on the 100mm f2 USM lens for quite some time now. Everything I read indicates above par quality with some stating its close to what you would expect from an "L" lens. ( same is said for the 85mm f1.8 and I totally agree ).

There's also the 135mm f2L but that lens doesn't fit into my budget.

There's some good input at www.fredmiranda.com

Unfortunately, none of the local shops seem to stock prime lenses anymore and I would like to see what I'm buying before forking out the cash for one. Guess I'll have to make a trip into New York city and continue my search.

5. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i second the suggestion of the 85 1.8 (and the 100 f2, which is longer, but not quite as sharp). Like usayit said, Fred Miranda's website has loads of great reviews for lenses.