Lens Aperture vs Camera ISO - buying advice

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Onz, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Onz

Onz TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been researching online for too long and need your help :)

With the disappointment of the Canon 6D mark ii I'm trying to decide between a very expensive upgrade to the Sony A7Rii with the Sigma 24-105mm F4 lens or an easily affordable minuscule upgrade (currently using a 70D) to the Canon 80D with my existing Sigma 18-35mm F1.8.

My question is, how will the noise level and low light capability compare between these two options? The 80D with f1.8 VS the A7Rii with f4.

To clarify my dilemma, it's more than just a financial problem, I'm finding it hard to believe most high end cameras don't include a fully rotatable touch screen, and the Sony lens options are more limited than Canon - there's no sony mount for the Sigma 24-35 f2! But all things considered would it be worth spending the extra cash?

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If you go by numbers there's 2stops difference. Supposedly there's a stop to a stop and a half difference in iso performance. So in theory if you stop the lens down to about f2.2 and shoot this is what f4 should give, using the higher iso on the fullframe to compensate for the smaller aperture.

In real life shooting it probably won't work exactly like that, but close enough. You'll probably get more benefit of shooting and resizing raws also. Resizing from a 42mp instead of a 24 should give some benefit also.

I would not write off the 6d2. If your already in the canon eco system would you be better to save for a 5d4 than go all Sony?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What exactly are your problems with the 6D MII

4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Top Poster Of Month

Comparing apples to oranges. The A7rii is much more than just better iso. It clearly outsteps he 70D / 80D buy a good deal in all the measurements at DXO (iso, noise, dynamic range, tone, color). Same goes for top end Canon and Nikon bodies in that $3,200 price range.

Now the 80D is slightly better than the D70 in low ISO. Say you can sell the 70D for $600. So, your out of pocket $600 with the new 80D then. Is the slight increase in picture quality at the lower ISO setttings worth it? Yes, there are some other differences in the cameras. But we are taliking output quality. What is the 70D failing at? Is it just an ISO problem your having? Do, you have lights? Maybe some flashes might be a better choice?

• Like Like x 1
  5. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    rotating touch screen adds a point of weakness.
    it's like complaining that an Amoured Personnel Carrier does not have good visibility.
    as asked above...what is the 70D failing at?
    if you want the A7R II...go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If you want good low light performance you are looking at the wrong place.
    Sony A7RII or A7RIII are no low light beasts, high MP cameras tend to be noisier then other FF with lower MP sensors.
    APS-C cameras also aint best for low light high ISO.
    If you want good results in Canon system I think for now the 5DIV is the best you have (bellow 4K$)
    If you willing to jump ship to another system Nikon D750 has amazing low light performance!
    With Sony system if you consider Sony I would wait for the new A7III when ever if will come out as it will probably have less MP and thus better low light performance.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I tend to agree with the above two posters. And...not sure why the 6D-II is disappointing...seems like a good Canon.

8. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It’s the full frame disease. OP feels he needs full frame but can’t bear to spend to get the best.

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I get the full-frame and High-ISO allure, especially with the sensors made by Sony. And yes, the A7rii is an expensive camera, but it has the mirrorless features and capabilities so many are attracted to ( multi-lens-brand capability, zebras,in-cam EVF benefits,etc). I dunno--could be the user's age and demographic too: I went to a BIG sales promo event at Pro Photo Supply yesterday, with factory reps from multiple makers, including Sony,Canon,Manfrotto,Nikon,Epson,others. Sony cams appeal to a certain type of shooter. I am actually SEEING A&-series cams on the streets, more and more in the Portland area, often in the hands of 20- to 35 year-old folks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Top Poster Of Month

Well younger generation with some disposable income tends to accept new technology quicker. If your well established with certain gear, you tend to stick with that gear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Marketing also comes into play as well, my feeling is that the sony's have pushed heavily to market themselves into a niche to take a serious slice out of the SLR pie; and its worked. Most people don't understand sensor size and how it affects things; plus electronic viewfinders sound more fancy than "big clunky mirrors" and in fairness it does remove mirrorlslap and most people are not doing much more "fast action" than their own kids or family.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

This is a large problem. I'm trying to justify going to Fuji or Sony not replacing my D750 but adding to it. But I would need some accesories, and a short (16-50ish) and long lenses (300+) and that stuff ain't cheap. It's much cheaper just to add a D7200
    Why exactly do you need a fully rotatable screen?

I'm just asking because there are other alternatives.
    Depending upon what you need that for you could use:
    1 - wireless device shutter release
    2 - a 90 degree viewfinder (which swivels) for up top shots.

I do see the definite advantages of a fully rotatable screen though but I've managed to get around it.

• Like Like x 1