Lens array?

javig999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the best lens array for a novice DSLR user? I am thinking Nikon D80 body. Would like to have decent wide angle capability and good zoom range to start. What lenses would work best? Budget is not to exceed $2000-2500

Anything else I would need and want to have?

Thanks in advance...

Array is not really the right word.

Anyway for a good start the Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S, and the Nikkor 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR covers the range. The latter has VR which is always a bonus. Both a very sharp lenses. You will eventually realise they are not "fast" as in don't let a lot of light through especially at the long end of each range.

Fast zoom lenses are normally a tad expensive so the easiest way is to compliment them with some fixed focals; the 50mm f/1.8 being the cheapest, other ones may be the 105mm f/2.8 which is a tad expensive and probably won't come in under budget, or on the wider side of things the 35mm f/2.0 I suggest don't run out and buy these straight away until you know which focal length you will use a lot. This advice doesn't apply to the 50mm since it's about $130

The other option is to reach for second hand glass where the 80-200mm f/2.8 is a fast, sharp and damn fine lens but being old it may be hard to source and it will be a slow autofocuser on the D80 lacking an AF-S motor. No idea what to pick on the wider side of things.

Most reactions

Back