Lens BRAND?

JenPena

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm still searching lenses...not because I'm not happy with my newly acquired Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8 (although I can't get it to take a shot with anything but a stop at 22) but because right after I bought my new lens, a bunch of people at work went together and bought me a $60 gift certificate for RitzOnline.com. Now I have a reason to shop and have no idea what to get!

Eventually I want a better, faster zoom lens for my D70 than the lens I got with the body. I mostly take portraits and do other such set up photography like weddings and graduations, etc., so the 50 mm works great for that. I wanted something comparable to the Canon L lens, like the Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8, but I also wanted to ask your opinions on other names, such as Tamron and Sigma. Would a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 be comparable to the Nikkor or should I just wait until I can afford the $1500 Nikkor? Are any of these other brands a good investment for portraiture photography?

The Tamron 28-75 you mentioned is considered one of the better zooms for a Nikon. And that's not just talking about 3rd party lenses, but across the board. Search for reviews on it - it's not all metal like a Nikkor but the quality should be incredible. And it's what, like $350? It's a steal.

I got the 17-50 version of that same class of Tamron lens since I needed more on the wide end - it's been great so far! My personal feeling judging from general life experience is that genuine brand parts shouldn't always be a default choice, especially when looking at it from the price:performance point of view.

--Illah

Every lens maker has some gems and some duds. You can usually find enough reviews to figure out which ones are good.

As a basic way to tell...price is usually a good indicator. You get what you pay for...so typically, a $1500 lens is better than a $500 lens. The trick it trying to find out just how much better it is...and if that difference is worth $1000 to you.

1) You have to set the lens with the Camera Body, not the Aperture Ring. The Aperture Ring must stay locked at 22.

Also note that any zoom lens you buy will not be better or faster. In fact it will be worse and slower than your single focal length 50mm lens. The single focal length lens will outperform any zoom but, of course, has only one focal length.

fmw said:
Also note that any zoom lens you buy will not be better or faster. In fact it will be worse and slower than your single focal length 50mm lens. The single focal length lens will outperform any zoom but, of course, has only one focal length.
I'm with FMW.

The 50 1.8 is a piece of miracle glass IMHO.

I would look for something that took you way out or way in.

I will give you a tip on a great Nikkor (Nikon's brand) lens which is a sleeper.

Find a Nikkor 70-210 f4 AF macro. Awesome lens that can be found used for under $200.00.

LWW

You will be thrilled with the 28-70/2.8 Nikon lens. It's great. I use it quite a bit.

I don't know why you are having problems with the 50mm/1.8... that's weird.

Here's a list of what I use a LOT.... I have a few others but they are really cheap and bad from years ago.

I swear my 28-70/2.8 is just as sharp as my primes.

All of these serve a purpose for me... I'll list my reviews below...
post-1796-1162585108.jpg

*For low light situations, I like the Nikon 50/1.4 and Nikon 85/1.8
*For studio work or outdoors where I have enough light, I like the Nikon 28-70/2.8
*For outdoor shooting, sports, etc., I love the Nikon 70-200/2.8
*For macro work, I like the Sigma 105/2.8
*For fun wide angle distortion, I love the Sigma 10-20
*When I don't feel like carrying a whole bunch of heavy stuff, I like the Nikon 18-200 for snapshots or hiking light. It is nowhere near as sharp as the 28-70 or 70-200 but it serves its purpose.

Not pictured above, I have the Nikon 70-300 and a cheap 28-70/3.5- Both of them really are not nice glass at all... very cheap.... so I have put them away and never touch them...I'm going to give them to my 10-year-old son to play with on my D70 since I don't use that anymore either :) I also really don't use my 28/2.8 prime because my zoom covers that...and my zoom is super sharp even wide open.

I'm going to be adding the Nikon 17-55/2.8 for my new studio when I need a wider angle in studio.

Most reactions

Back