Lens buying help

kc4sox

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really don't want to fork out the bucks for the version2 Canon so the question is,

Used Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS or, New Tamron 70-200 f2.8 DI VC USD ?

Thoughts?

I've wondered the same. Do these more affordable versions compare well to the high dollar mkii 70-200 f/2.8?

If your job is shooting photos get the canon version as it's over built and will last you many years of rough use. If you are a hobbyist then the Tamron will be more than good enough.

I'll add to what @runnah said. It depends on what you are shooting. From all the research and talking to people that have the Tamron, the focus is a little slower than the Canon. If you need that little extra speed of focusing, then it would be worth the money.

From what I've seen the two Tamron 2.8 zooms are on par with the first generation of their Canon counterparts optically. Which is to say they'll hang with a first gen 24-70 or 70-200, while also giving you IS, but they aren't as sharp or fast as the newer, more expensive Canon counterparts.

The 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM is a good performer. I bought mine in 2006, and it has been really good. VERY durable finish on the barrel makes these lenses stay clean and pretty for a long time, and resist marring better than some other finishes. In the 85-145mm range the lens is incredibly sharp and crisp. It loses a bit of its bite at the longer end, but many (most) tele-zooms do. Focusing is pretty darned good, and the ergonomics and control placements,design,feel on the Canon are ALL really nice. I cannot imagine that the Tamron VC is much better than the Canon "not mark II" lens in any category.

The thing I personally notice with the Tamron VC is that it has a certain very sharp, almost harsh rendering style. Yes, it's probably really high ranking on lens test charts, but when I see some backgrounds, and people shots done with the Tamron VC lenses, the so-called drawing style looks just a little bit rough to me...sterile...hard-edged. The Canon 70-200 images look very,very nice, which makes sense since it was "the lens" Canon hung much of their professional imaging reputation on for a decade. "Sharpness" is overrated for many types of photos. I think lens drawing style and bokeh rendering are more important to me than ultimate resolution capabilities, and that's where I think the Canon and Nikon 70-200 lenses have the edge. Notice that the professional photographer above notes that he thinks the camera maker lenses are better choices for full-time pro use, and that the Tamron's focusing does not feel fast...not that it is slow, but it does not feel fast. The Tamron 70-200F2.8VC… @ Marc Lebryk Photography

This review has a few interesting caveats about the 70-200 VC. Like long strings of OOF shots on a pro Canon,and inconsistent focusing performance.Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD Lens Review

You'll probably see that the Tamron has the focusing and zooming rings in the "wrong" positions compared to Canon. I think posts 4 and 5 have distilled things down to two critical points.

The thing I personally notice with the Tamron VC is that it has a certain very sharp, almost harsh rendering style. Yes, it's probably really high ranking on lens test charts, but when I see some backgrounds, and people shots done with the Tamron VC lenses, the so-called drawing style looks just a little bit rough to me...sterile...hard-edged.

Thats my biggest complaint with the tamron lenses. The color and contrast suck compared to canon glass. I've shot the 24-70, 70-200 and the 150-600 and all seems to have the same "issue". Its not a deal break by any means as most of it can be fixed in post but it is a consideration.

Keep it coming. Some very good insight so far.

Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS V1 in the house.

Thanks guys

I like the way Tamron focus and zoom rings are around the "wrong" way. Ergonomically it makes a lot of sense. The only downside is if you are trying to use it with the hood in the stored position (which I'd never realised until reading that review because I've never done it).

It looks like you will be using top of the line bodies. Might as well use top of the line glass.

Most reactions

Back