Lens Choice Help

danjchau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
-------------

Last edited:
You can find the review of the lens from photozone.de, slrgear.com or any other review sites out there.;)

-------------

Last edited:
Its a budget lens. Its offering a wide focal range coverage, but at its price the image quality is going to be low. What is it though is cheap - its a good lens for starting out with if your not certain where you are going but want more zoom capabilities - that said I would get the sigma 70-300mm APO macro lens in that price area since you get the ability to do 2:1 macro (so you can fill the frame with an open flower - not good enough for proper bug macro, but more than capable of good flower sized object macro).

The lens that is 4 times the price is going to give you much better and sharper results as well as being built better = however its going to cost you 4 times as much.

I think the important thing is to work it out like this

1) what do you want the lens to do

2) how far financially are you willing to go with this hobby

3) how long can you wait/save for a better lens?

-------------

Last edited:
APO is better than NonAPO simply as the better glass coatings help improve overall image quality. I have used a nonAPO version of the lens and comparing my results to those of others (although only online) the APO does appear tobe worth the extra cost.

The CA and softness at the long end of that 75-300 (canon) inspired me to give it away! Embarrassed to have it in my case.

Of course now I'm 3 grand into good lenses and still dreaming of a prime 300 or 400 f/2.8 :hail:

Good luck with your purchase(s), and simply make the best of whatever you can afford!

-Shea

-------------

Last edited:
Hi;
I have a Canon SXI. For the price the 75-300 is a good lens. Use it alot. If you don't want to go the price for a new lens, go to ebay and look under Canon 35mm (any eos and ef )lens will fit back to 1987. Also check on ebay for Ef lens, EOS lens, and Canon rebel. Anyway, 75-300's are good. If you can score a 70-300 (better) go for it.It will cost you 3 time what the 75-300 will. My 75-300 cost me $35.00 off of ebay. Besides I got a bag, 35mm camera body, a flash, and a few filters in the deal. Resold the extra's back on ebay and got my lens for $7.00. All said, use what I said to build your lens supply. Keep the ones that work for you and sell the others. I now have in my case a 50mm, 50mm macro,18-55, 55-250, 75-300 and a 100-400. I don't think I have over $400 in the lot. Hope this helps.

Crazy

Most reactions

Back