lens choices

maverickphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a rebel xsi and want to get a few lens for it. Is there a place that list what lens fit. Not just canon but the other brands also? Since the camera has image stablation in it does the lens have to have it also?

jason

I just bought a rebel xsi and want to get a few lens for it. Is there a place that list what lens fit. Not just canon but the other brands also? Since the camera has image stablation in it does the lens have to have it also?

jason

Jason,

The XSI does not have image stabalization built into the body. No Canon DSLR does. If you want IS then you need to look at lenses with IS.

I think you ask at one point, though I am uncertain - if there is a place to test out different lenses - best place would be your local camera store. Though they might not stock a full range of lenses (especially the more expensive ones) so once you have a shortlist you might want to give them a call first.
Only other place to try out kit would be at a local photography club - of course remember some people are very paranoide about their babies (lenses ;)) so be respectful if some don't especially want you handeling them (espically on a first night;)) = course there are many who would be only too glad to show others their kit! :)

You could always rent a few and try out what you like. Once you get a few under your belt and find a nice niche, buy those.

I believe all Canon EF and EF-S lens will fit the XSi.

If you look at non-Canon brand such as "Sigma, Tamron, Tokina", the description should identify lens as a Canon/Nikon/Sony/etc mount.

Ok so ive been doing some reading. What im looking for is a lens that is great for wildlife. We have alot of bald eagles around here but sometimes there really out there. Anyone have any advice on a lens for this that will also allow me to get in flight shots? And one more stupid question. What does f 2.8 and so on mean?

JAson

A lens' maximum aperture size is frequently described as a ratio of the lens' focal length (f). Thus, the EF 50mm f/1.8 lens has a focal length of 50mm, and its maximum aperture is 50mm / 1.8 = 28mm. A bigger aperture lets in more light, allowing a shorter exposure. A smaller aperture lets in less light. Each f-stop cuts the amount of light received in half (f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22, etc.), requiring twice the exposure length. A wide aperture also creates a shallow depth of field, affecting the range of subjects that can be in focus at the same time.

Your EOS Rebel XSi probably came with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS zoom lens. At 50mm, its maximum aperture of f/5.6 lets in 1/10th as much light as the f/1.8 lens can.

A well-regarded lens for shooting wild birds is the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. This high quality telephoto zoom lens has a range of focal lengths between 100mm and 400mm, a maximum aperture of f/4.5 at 100mm, a maximum aperture of f/5.6 at 400mm, and it includes optical image stabilization and an ultrasonic focusing motor. At over $1400, it is too expensive for a starting lens.

A relatively inexpensive telephoto zoom lens is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. This isn't a high quality lens, but at around $265, it's more suited to a beginner's budget.

Many folks recommend the high quality Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM for $600 as a great telephoto zoom lens.

I have the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Quality-wise, it's between the EF-S 55-250 and the "L" lens, but it does include optical image stabilization, for about $550.

Last edited:
Ok so ive been doing some reading. What im looking for is a lens that is great for wildlife. We have alot of bald eagles around here but sometimes there really out there. Anyone have any advice on a lens for this that will also allow me to get in flight shots? And one more stupid question. What does f 2.8 and so on mean?

JAson

Like $150 "great" for wildlife or $3500 great for wildlife?

If you do look at the 70-200 f/4, you can get a 1.4x TC that only adds one stop to your maximum widest aperture. So shooting with the XSI, you're going to be at about 156-448mm for the focal length.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back