Lens Cleaning How-To? What do you Recommend?

zedin said:
Using a UV/haze filter is also nice since if over time you do scratch up your filter cleaning its much cheaper to replace then the lens.

It does protect the lens, but if you find yourself scratching up a UV filter I would seriously question how well you are taking care of your lens. You really shouldn't need a UV filter; it's just another excuse not to take perfect care of your lens.

What's best for cleaning the body of a lens? After hgetting caught in the rain I dried all my stuff out like was reccomended somewere else here but there are water marks left on the lens and camera body that won't just wipe off with a soft cloth!? I had thought of using a light amount of furniture polish but I'm not sure if that'll react with the plastic/paint?

ThatCameraThingy said:
Anybody heard of a LENSPEN ??

been using one for years , and recommend it to all my customers.

Hertz - do you know them , and have opinion ???

very interrested to hear

Hanno

Never was a fan of gadgets. A can of compressed air and my t-shirt is all I have ever felt the need for. But if it works for you, then that's fine.

I've put a few small scratches on the back on my 70-200 2.8 with a lenspen. The idea of using the same surface over and over again is just an invitation for some abrasive particle to work their way in. You'll also notice that the lens leaves black residue on the lens... if you breathe on it and wipe it with a cotton tissue, it's gonna be black.

Microfiver cloth doesn't work for me either. It gets contaminated easily. It doesn't absorb liquid well. It leaves a LOT of microfibers on the lens.

probably the only lense paper i'd use is the one we use in bio lab called Kimwipes. our TA was so anal about using other stuff to clean the lenses on our compound microscopes. if it's good enough to clean several thousand dollar equipments, it's good enough for me. my $.02
Bingo. We have a winner.

I use that stuff too. Works wonderfully and doesn't leave any crud on the lens. They're cheaper than photo cleaning papers as well. What works really well for me is using one kimwipe to spread the lens cleaning fluid on the lens, and wipe it down with another one.

In the absence of kimwipes, I use a cotton cloth or a kleenex. Works just as well... and I don't see any scratches so far.

Bulb Blower, Eclipse and Pec Pad.
Usually, the bulb is more than enough. I use the solution and the pad only if there are any tiny stains.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back