Lens Cleaning

Reed029

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I have a Pentax K100D and used it to take photos on a trip to Venice. Getting the photos off the camera, I noticed the lens must be FILTHY.

What's the best and safest way to clean a lens? I'm soooo very new to photography and would like to know what your experiences have been in regard to this - what to do or not to do.

Thanks!

Dirt & grime on the lens...rarely shows up in the photos. What you are probably seeing are spots from dust on the sensor. (post an example for us to be sure).

DSLR cameras need periodic sensor cleaning. Try a search of the forum and you will turn up plenty of info about cleaning your sensor.

Dirt & grime on the lens...rarely shows up in the photos.

Hey Mike,

I've seen this said a couple of times but I can't figure out the logic in it. Can you help me?

Hey Mike,

I've seen this said a couple of times but I can't figure out the logic in it. Can you help me?

because you just cannot focus on anything too close to the lens, be it in front of the lens, or on the rear lens. so dirt on the lens will be always totally out of focus and hence hard to see at all.

The only things you can get more or less in focus are those in the object plane (the things you want to be on the picture) and those in the image plane (dirt on the sensor or the film). since the dirt is never directly at the sensor, but at a tiny distance due to the filter glass in front of the sensor, it will get better in focus at smaller apertures. try some f/22 pictures of the blue sky, and you will see much more of your dirt.

because you just cannot focus on anything too close to the lens, be it in front of the lens, or on the rear lens. so dirt on the lens will be always totally out of focus and hence hard to see at all.

The only things you can get more or less in focus are those in the object plane (the things you want to be on the picture) and those in the image plane (dirt on the sensor or the film). since the dirt is never directly at the sensor, but at a tiny distance due to the filter glass in front of the sensor, it will get better in focus at smaller apertures. try some f/22 pictures of the blue sky, and you will see much more of your dirt.

I have that same problem, but I have NOOOO idea how to clean it out. Hell, I don't even know where the heck it is to clean it! lol! :blushing:

Most reactions

Back