Lens Cleaning ?

Nkray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks,

I have a question about lens cleaning. Should you clean the front part of your lens, how often, and with what.

My thoughts are that just like any glass, over time it gets a smoky appearance and need to be cleaned (lens and filter)

Suggestions?

I clean 'em whenever it needs it.

With what depends on what I want to remove.
Loose dust: Puff of breath.
Stuck-on dust: Lens brush or rocket blower.
Smudge: Lens cleaning fluid and microfiber cloth if I'm at home, a Zeiss lens cleaning wipe in the field.
Annoying scratch: Sledge hammer or AR-15.

Some days, I just sit down and clean all my gear en masse. Lenses (front and back as well as barrel) all my filters, cameras (sensors, mirrors, VFs, body). I also charge up all batteries, and organize SD cards as well.

Thanks a bunch... I did a thread search and found tons of valuable tips... Blow - brush - blow then proceed with cleaning needed...

Nick

I regularly brush and hand blow dust from the front lens element when I mount a lens on my DSLR.

I keep a 24 - 85 mm lens on my primary camera and visually inspect the front lens element each time I remove the lens cap.
I don't often need to do more than that.

I do not recommend using microfiber cloth. Instead i recommend using disposable lens tissues.
Also, never spray liquid lens cleaner directly on the front or rear lens element. Instead spray liquid cleaner on the lens tissue, then gently clean the glass lens.

I use Zeiss lens cleaning wipes too and they have always worked well for cleaning my Nikon lenses. I clean them whenever there are noticeable smudges on the glass which is pretty often lol. :wink:

Last edited:
I just use the same gear as for my glasses and monitors - some solution, and micro fiber.

I hate cleaning, I always seem to make it worse haha

Most reactions

Back