Lens compatibility with Canon 400D

ETTS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a film SLR for a number of years, and when I converted to digital I tried to manage with a compact for ease of handling etc. This was purely for leisure purposes, mainly aviation photography. I've finally realised that the zoom capabilities of my compact do not meet my needs, so I'm taking the plunge back into the world of SLR in digital.

One question I have is will my Tamron 185D lens (28-300mm, AF, currently fitted to my Minolta Dynax 500si) work with a Canon 400D? This lens was bought around 6 years ago, and I'm still very happy with it, but was wondering if I will be able to use it with the Canon 400D and save some cash on having to buy another lens in the 300mm range.

Thanks!

Neil.

Welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question is no. A lens that was made to work on a Minolta camera will not fit or work on a Canon digital camera, just as it won't fit or work on a Canon film SLR camera. (there are adaptors to fit some lenses onto different cameras...but you lose most of the functions and it's usually not worth it).

You could get a digital SLR camera that will probably fit your lens. Minolta has a few DSLR cameras...well they did. Minolta's photography division was bought out by Sony...but they have kept the lens compatibility so far. So you could look at the Sony Alpha DSLR camera...which would probably fit your lens.

Another option is to just go with the DSLR of your choice...like the 400D for example...and forget about using your old lens.

If it was me, I'd go for the Sony Alpha 100. I've been drooling over it since it was announced, but unfortunately, I don't have the funds for it right now. It'd be hard to go wrong with it, though. 10.2 megapixel, Dynamic Range Optimization, built-in image stabilization, etc. It's an attractive package that can be had for under $900 without the kit lens, or with it for $100 more. (A bargain, in my opinion.)

Thanks guys - I'm just about decided on the 400D, it was just whether I could get away without buying another 300mm lens.

Neil.

Thanks guys - I'm just about decided on the 400D, it was just whether I could get away without buying another 300mm lens.

Neil.

I can't even use my old Canon lenses on my Canon DSLR. Most I wouldn't want to anyway except the 50mm 1.4 and the 35-105.

Just a tip in advance. There are some chipping issues with non-Canon lenses and AF. Some work, some don't work. I have stuck with Canon lenses. Some Sigma's and others work find, some won't work right. You'll have to search the websites for people who have those specific lenses and go model by model.

Canon makes a dandy 300mm f/4L IS USM that runs just over $1000. The consumer 75-300 f/4 USM just came out, replacing the 70-300, getting good reports Just over $200. IS USM version about $600. EF 100-300 f4.5 USM mid $200s. Pick your poison.

The consumer 75-300 f/4 USM just came out
Is that a constant aperture F4? I haven't heard anything or been able to find any info. Or do you mean F4-5.6?

Most lenses are different at the point where they connect to the camera body. Canon Have updated there EF fit (Film EOS) to EFS (Digital EOS). While EF fit lenses will fit Digital, EFS won't fit film. And I am afraid that lenses designed to fit other manufacturers cameras will not fit at all (Unless you have a large hammer and some glue ! ! !).

Canon Have updated there EF fit (Film EOS) to EFS (Digital EOS).

well technically EF-S is not an update, but a sideline of smaller lenses restricted to crop sensors. And it is not a film / digital distinction since EF-S would not work with Canon's High-End-Digitals either.

It's a media-size distinction. The EF-S lenses are designed to work with a digital sensor with a 1.6X crop factor. Full-frame digitals and 35mm cameras will have severe vignetting.

Full-frame digitals and 35mm cameras will have severe vignetting.

Well, I only own 35mm film and full frame digital cameras, but I never tried it: Can you actually, I mean physically mount an EF-S lens on these cameras? Or is there something about the EF-S mount which prevents it?

Is that a constant aperture F4? I haven't heard anything or been able to find any info. Or do you mean F4-5.6?

No just me being vague and missing the specifics. ;) Yes F4-5.6

There was an EF 70-300 III USM and IS USM f/4-5.6 and from reading reviews, it has some issues, especially in portrait mode. I never understood how turning the same lens sideways, changed it, but anyway...

Last Fall Canon came out with the EF 75-300 IS USM f4/5.6 replaced it and fixed the complaints. (maybe?)

I don't see a non-IS version reviewed so I don't know if that choice is gone from the lineup.

1/3rd of the price of the L 70-200 2.8 IS USM, not white, if someone wants to be subtile, not as fast, not as large, not as heavy, trombone zoom :meh:, but more range. Probably a very nice lens.

I can see why some people have decided on the 70-200 f/4 USM, it's a sweet lens for the same price (about) as the 75-300, but no IS. Two touch zoom, which would sell it to me. I'm still in the dark ages and still like rotating a collar to make the zoom move, and still like a zoom that stays where I put it. There are probably some advantages in the design as well.

About that EF and EF-S

The S is not suitable for anything but cameras designed to use it, because of mirror clearance. It has a mount that is supposed to prevent someone from putting it on a 1D for example and causing problems. I think it will work on a 10D but the mount won't take it. Some people have altered the mount to take an S lens. (or was it altered the S lens to fit a standard mount?) The "S" lenses will work on 300d, 20D and 30D Etc.

The EF-S 17-55 F2.8 that was just released in Feb 2006 is a fixed aperature lens. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

It has two added elements that match it better with the cropped sensors. the "S" is it "Short Back Focus" :D

I Have an old canon film SLR (Canon 1000F) and i was wondering if the lenses from it would work with the canon 400D. is it possible?

Thanks

we3de3, No, because those are not EOS lenses. EOS is Canon's "new" system and is different from their old mount.

ETTS - If you like the Canons go for one. I would normally advise to buy for the lens, but that lens is not going to be a 28-300 on a new camera body. It is going to behave like a 42-450, which means you no longer have a wide angle. Pedal that on ebay and buy the new Canon you want.

Most reactions

Back