Lens Consultation

poplarparkfilms

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.poplarparkfilms.artshost.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey how's it going TPF?! Haven't been on here in forever but I just picked up the Canon 40D (sick camera by the way) and right now I'm just using a 28-80, 3.5-5.6 stock lens from my Rebel K2. I'm looking into wide lenses right now like the Canon 14mm, 2.8 USM lens and a few others, but I was just wondering if there are any wide ones that people might have or recomend. Are there any cheaper ones out there? I'm wanting to put together a little kit with you know a few lenses. I was tihnking of getting a Canon prime 50mm 1.4 or something and something macro. Any good suggestions? I'm mostly into landscapes, portrait and a little bit of action photography. I also like to do stuff at night. Would be ideal to have something wide, fast and macro.

Just seeing what you guys think, I have a few ideas but would be great to get some insight.

Thanks a lot,

James d

The Missing Link < Blog for my upcoming documentary film... check it out!

14 will be more like 23mm on your 40d

i'd take a look at the 10-22 ef-s

The 50mm f/1.4 is great idea for landscape. Another though option is Sigma. They offer a 10mm-20mm f/3.5. I have used sigma for a while now and am very happy. Remeber though, if you use the 50 f1.4 you will need to stop it down to around f/6 or so. Doing this will increase your depth of field and yield a crisper picture. Let us know what you decide on and show us some pictures when you shoot. I have been using an older manual 28mm f/2.5 vivitar lens and have been happy with the results. check out my website for a few examples.

Daniel Sach
Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

The lens line-up in Canon is truely impressive, especially when it comes to prime lenses.

Canon 14mm f2.8 Mark I is not as good as one expects from such an expensive lens in the measurebation level. However, it is good enough for a non-professional landscape photographer. Distorsion and corners are issues with enlargement photos especially on Full Frame Camera. However, it would be less of a problem on 40D but it looses the point of getting a wide prime like this one on a APC camera.

Canon 14mm f2.8 Mark II is an improved version of Mark I in areas of corner sharpness and reduced distorsion. However, the cost is very high and it is no match comparing to Nikon 14-24 f4 at the same aperture.

For your Canon 40D, I would recommend Tokina 12-24mm f4 or Sigma 10-20mm where these images are not only scarily sharp from corner to corner, but also has fantastic rich colour/contrast to admire.

My lens gallery
Home Page

Hope this post helps :)

Most reactions

Back