lens debate

Keep in mind that DX will work on an FX camera just not at the optimal resolution... BUT resolution is going up at such a rate that I doubt it will matter much longer.

I heard from others that it basically looks like crap... so tonight on my D700, I took the 10-20 mm Sigma ultra wide angle DX lens and tested it. It works, but man oh man, that area around the outside of the lens looks terrible all black, rounded and crappy on a FX sensor. Truly unusable in any manner.

I then set the D700 to automatically crop out that dark area that the DX lens did not cover, and it comes out looking just fine in DX cropped format (dare I say even quite a lot better on the D700 than on the D200? Clean ISO 3200 makes up a LOT for the slowness of that lens!). The only constraint is that it drops down to a file size of 2784 X 1848 vs a standard sized file of 4256 X 2832... in other words, it drops down from 12mp down to 5mp.

For now, with what I saw tonight on my D700 and Sigma 10-20... it is definitely a very viable temporary solution until I add the 14-24 and 16mm fisheye Nikkor lenses to my bag.

Most reactions

Back