Lens Decay

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have opted to post this in Equipment reviews and discussion simply due to the fact I was a little caught off guard at the idea of howmany people have never heard of fungus growing inside a lens. I playfully call it "athletes lens" but there is nothing playful about it. Fungus will eat away at the coating on your glass and eventually bring about the death of your investment. It can be cleaned out but it's best to just prevent it as it will change the behavior of the lens, and that is if you can save it at all.

[Below you will see early fungus growth on the front element of a Canon FD 135mm, Ø - 55mm lens]

007_2.jpg

See it bigger here

Lens maintenance is important, it goes well beyond merely keeping it clean. Do try to keep your lenses in an environment that is not suitable for fungus.

Feel free to either comment on the image or give advise on prevention or removal of fungal growth in a lens.

I'm not the best photographer, but I can tell you that fungi like warmth and moisture (I've taken my share of biology classes). They don't necessarily like darkness, but darkness absorbs heat. And enclosed spaces that hold moisture are usually dark (so it seems). To prevent nasty things from growing on ANYTHING, make sure and keep it in a well-ventilated area, and not someplace that gets over 80 degrees or so (30 C for every single place in the world that isn't America).

For long term storage I would put it in a sealed box with those little packets of gel stuff that comes in shoes. ( but new ) It absorbs moisture.

Can't for the life of me thing of what its called....

For long term storage I would put it in a sealed box with those little packets of gel stuff that comes in shoes. ( but new ) It absorbs moisture.

That's Silica Gel. One can find them in boxes of new shoes (make a trip down to your fave shoe store ;)) or can be ordered for next to nothing on eBay.

I hear direct exposure to UV light for long periods of time can reduce the fungus.

I've heard the same. I don't think it's a cure all, but, from what I've read, it can help a bit.

So I guess I have an excuse to by a new hand bag/purse as they come with silica gel too ;)

VA is humid at the moment, so that doesn't work in my favor.

I know you are suposed to let your camera adjust in the camera bag when you go from one extreme environment to another, like air conditioning to 90 deree heat.

Desiccant.

Ok hold up, so I keep all my cameras and lenses in my lowepro bag at all times (unless I am shooting of course) and the lowepro bags sits in my cupboard when not in use.

Is this good enough? I dont want fungi - looks nasty!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back