Lens Decision Help.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jrtcbmw, Feb 24, 2009.

1. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw TPF Noob!

I know there have been a lot of "what lens should i buy" threads floating around. well hes another one.

I currently have a Nikon D50 with a cheaper Sigma 18-50mm lens, i like the lens but i need more focal length. I have the lens narrowed down to the following 2 lenses.

Nikon 18-105mm AF-S DX F.3.5-5.6 ED VR

or

Nikon 18-135 AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

I would just like to know what your opinion is on the the lens, which one to is better or if there is a better lens out there in the price range/focal length range above. I prefer Nikon and Sigma lenses.

Thank you for the help

Jason

2. TheOtherBob

TheOtherBob TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you like the 18-50 but just want more reach, why not look into a telephoto zoom to go with it rather than something that would just cover the same zoom range? Something like a 55-200 or 70-200 or the like? (I don't know Nikon lenses, so I don't know what the options are.)

3. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is also the 18-200 (I have the VR) that is quite nice for a walk-around lens. I use it all the time if I don't have the ability to stop and change lenses a lot. It also gives you more range than the ones you listed.

This whole gallery was shot with it (4°F inside, so I didn't have the ability to change my lenses):
    Lyncca Harvey Photography | Gaylord ICE Exhibit

I don't think it is the end all lens, I never use it for professional shots; but its great for its purpose. The Nikkor is great, but I have heard mixed reviews about the off brand compatibles to this lens. I haven't tried them myself.

Good luck!

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR is pretty sharp and not badly priced. If you look around on craigslist or places like that, you can probably find a used copy for less.

I know someone with the 18-135mm and they only moan about it. It's a paper weight now.

5. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw TPF Noob!

Well I am saving up for the Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR lens or something of equivalent nature. That's why i didn't want to get the cheaper 55-200 lens.

Ive played with the 18-105 lens at the store, and really liked it, ive seen a lot of good reviews on it and the opposite was for the 18-135 (i have not be able to use that).

Basically i want it because i want the extra zoom length and for a decent walk around lens, the 18-200 is out of price range right now and is kinda wastefull in my opinion if i plan on getting something like the 70-300 lens over the summer.

6. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I thought that would have been the case as well, but when you try to walk around and change your lens back and forth trying to do wide-angle and telephoto, it becomes a REAL pain. If you are there specifically to take pictures, that's different than trying to go on vacation with your family :lmao:, try changing lenses every 10 feet and see if you come out alive.

So, I have an ultra-wide, the long telephoto, and then the one that covers MOST of the middle except in extreme cases. Then there are my prime lenses for portraits.

Eventually I will upgrade to the pro level lenses, but right now I am pretty happy with my arrangement :)

7. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw TPF Noob!

Yeah thats has crossed my mind multiple times. Eventially down the road an 18-200 would be great in my collection (there is one joining the household/family collection), but right now its just a little out of my range.

8. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Boy do I understand that one...

9. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd vote for the 18-105mm, I hear it's sharper than the 18-200

10. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw TPF Noob!

Yeah thats what im leaning towards. I liked the feel, i liked the good reviews on it. and ive found them for cheaper then the 18-135 and it was a good price.

11. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's fine, have you considered the 16-85?

12. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw TPF Noob!

Yeah but that is up there in the price range of the 18-200. so that right now is not an option.